+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Montreal after soft landing

javisam376

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
Hi,

I did a soft landing about 1 year ago and I am planning on moving this August. I have close relatives living in Montreal so I am going to stay with the initially until I get on my feet. I read that for first / soft landing there could be some risks if landing in Quebec as they have a different immigration process, so my question is: Would I be OK if I take a flight directly into Montreal and declare I will stay with my relative or better to go through Ontaro and then take bus / rent a car?

Thanks.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I don't understand your question. You said that you have already landed 1 year ago.
You are now a PR and you can travel to any city. What do you want to do with you flight to Montreal again? There is nothing to declare except may be goods to follow?

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
Hi,

I did a soft landing about 1 year ago and I am planning on moving this August. I have close relatives living in Montreal so I am going to stay with the initially until I get on my feet. I read that for first / soft landing there could be some risks if landing in Quebec as they have a different immigration process, so my question is: Would I be OK if I take a flight directly into Montreal and declare I will stay with my relative or better to go through Ontaro and then take bus / rent a car?

Thanks.
take train -- views are better

javisam376

Star Member
Mar 13, 2016
I don't understand your question. You said that you have already landed 1 year ago.
You are now a PR and you can travel to any city. What do you want to do with you flight to Montreal again? There is nothing to declare except may be goods to follow?
I soft landed, so I stayed for about 1 week and then got back home (South America). I got my PR card mailed but I remember on the soft landing posts that they mentioned there was some risk if first landing into QC since they have a different immigration program, so I wanted to double check before booking my flight to Montreal to move for good.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I soft landed, so I stayed for about 1 week and then got back home (South America). I got my PR card mailed but I remember on the soft landing posts that they mentioned there was some risk if first landing into QC since they have a different immigration program, so I wanted to double check before booking my flight to Montreal to move for good.
As far as I know, there is only 1 landing process.

It may be different for Quebec. But I doubt it. Once you are a PR, I think you are free to live anywhere.

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
If you have received PNP then better to stick to that province for few months and have proof that job search didn't work out in that particular province.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I drove from Toronto last time and it was a very, very long drive. Train might have been a better choice.
That's nothing compare to my driving between Calgary and Vancouver. Last time, I drove from Ottawa to Toronto and I called it a short drive.

Shalini Vats

Sep 7, 2018
Hi Everyone! My husband is getting internal transfer to his company basis our PR. We plan to move in June mid, few questions which I would like to seek answer for:

• What is this different process for immigration in Quebec. Any more information will be useful.
  • Which areA has most Indians in Montreal.
  • My son is 18 months old, we would want him to start with french school so that he can pick this language easily. Do you see any problems with this.