+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to India immediately after receiving PR card

ray094

Jan 25, 2022
Hi,

I have resided in Canada for 3 years now and have been working full-time with a Work Permit (PGWP). I have received my CoPR last month and am waiting to receive my PR card (possibly next month). Once I get it, I plan to quit my job and move back to India for a year. I have a few questions regarding immigration:

1. Can I move immediately after receiving a PR card? Or are there any restrictions on staying for a few days before leaving?
2. I believe I need to stay for around 2 years in the next 5 years in order to retain/extend my PR. Is that correct?
3. Do I need to inform CRA that I'm moving back even if it is only temporary (1 year)? If I don't, I may have to pay taxes in both countries, but if not, will it cause any legal issues?
4. Any list of items/tasks that I need to take care of, here in Canada, before I move to India?

All information and help is appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi,

I have resided in Canada for 3 years now and have been working full-time with a Work Permit (PGWP). I have received my CoPR last month and am waiting to receive my PR card (possibly next month). Once I get it, I plan to quit my job and move back to India for a year. I have a few questions regarding immigration:

1. Can I move immediately after receiving a PR card? Or are there any restrictions on staying for a few days before leaving?
2. I believe I need to stay for around 2 years in the next 5 years in order to retain/extend my PR. Is that correct?
2. Do I need to inform CRA that I'm moving back even if it is only temporary (1 year)? If I don't, I may have to pay taxes in both countries, but if not, will it cause any legal issues?
3. Any list of items/tasks that I need to take care of, here in Canada, before I move to India?

1. Yes, no restrictions
2. Yes, 2 years residency in every 5 year period.
3. No.

Reactions: ray094

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

3. Do I need to inform CRA that I'm moving back even if it is only temporary (1 year)? If I don't, I may have to pay taxes in both countries, but if not, will it cause any legal issues?
4. Any list of items/tasks that I need to take care of, here in Canada, before I move to India?

Yes you need to inform CRA if you are leaving the country for a year so they can determine whether you’ll be a tax resident or not for the next year. This will also prevent any possible fraud on your account. You also need to inform your provincial healthcare plan that you will be out of the country. They will put your account on hold.

Reactions: ray094