+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada

crypticalz

Apr 21, 2015
Hello,

Thank you guys for listening. Just some background, I am a Canadian Citizen currently living in Guatemala. I really want to move to Canada ASAP, because of the opportunities, the crime in Guatemala is getting really bad as well as the political stability; and not to mention COVID.

I have a wife of 6 years, 6 yr old month daughter and a 3 yr old. I would prefer to sponsor my wife while living in Canada rather than in Guatemala. Is there a possibility of traveling with my wife and daughter to Seattle, crossing the border to Canada to Vancouver and ask for the sponsorship from there or do I have to do the process from Guatemala. My family has a US Visa and kids aswell.

Could we go through the border and do all paperwork there? What papers should I take if this helps?

Let me know!

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

Thank you guys for listening. Just some background, I am a Canadian Citizen currently living in Guatemala. I really want to move to Canada ASAP, because of the opportunities, the crime in Guatemala is getting really bad as well as the political stability; and not to mention COVID.

I have a wife of 6 years, 6 yr old month daughter and a 3 yr old. I would prefer to sponsor my wife while living in Canada rather than in Guatemala. Is there a possibility of traveling with my wife and daughter to Seattle, crossing the border to Canada to Vancouver and ask for the sponsorship from there or do I have to do the process from Guatemala. My family has a US Visa and kids aswell.

Could we go through the border and do all paperwork there? What papers should I take if this helps?

Let me know!

Thanks
You cannot do the sponsorship process at the border. You would either apply by mail from outside of Canada - or apply by mail from inside of Canada once you arrive.

There's unfortunately not a fully clear cut answer as to whether you will be allowed into Canada. The short answer is that your wife and children "should" be allowed to enter. However everything is unclear right now due to COVID-19 and the ban on all but essential travel. You will need to remain in the U.S. for at least 14 days before entering Canada.

crypticalz

Apr 21, 2015
You cannot do the sponsorship process at the border. You would either apply by mail from outside of Canada - or apply by mail from inside of Canada once you arrive.

There's unfortunately not a fully clear cut answer as to whether you will be allowed into Canada. The short answer is that your wife and children "should" be allowed to enter. However everything is unclear right now due to COVID-19 and the ban on all but essential travel. You will need to remain in the U.S. for at least 14 days before entering Canada.
Thank you Scylla for your answer. Just to clarify, my plans area around november/december.

I was wondering since I am citizen, I was told that once my kids touch canadian land, they automatically become canadians without any doubt, however I am not sure about that. I was told by an immigration expert that what could hold us back is my wife, since she is only Salvadoran with a US VISA, but i can bring all my paperwork (marriage certificate signed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as well as my kids birth certificates) - however I dont know if this can be done, or if there is a way they give my wife a "temporary visa" and we stay to lvie there.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Travelling through Seattle seems like an extra, unnecessary step.

Your immigration expert is kind of right, but there seems to be a lot of mistaken assumptions in your post. You and your family all need valid travel documents/visas/passports to enter Canada...this sort of thing can't happen once you show up at the border. You need to sort all of this in advance. If you say you plan to do so in November/December, you should start with the applications as soon as possible.

You still need to apply for a Canadian visa for your wife before any of you attempt to enter Canada, whether as a visitor (TRV) or as a sponsored spouse (PR), as scylla mentioned earlier. There is no "inferred" or "automatic" visa for her just by virtue of her Canadian spouse or her children.

You will also need to apply for your children's Canadian passports if they do not have them yet--I am just assuming you were a Canadian citizen before they were born, so they would be Canadian.

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you Scylla for your answer. Just to clarify, my plans area around november/december.

I was wondering since I am citizen, I was told that once my kids touch canadian land, they automatically become canadians without any doubt, however I am not sure about that. I was told by an immigration expert that what could hold us back is my wife, since she is only Salvadoran with a US VISA, but i can bring all my paperwork (marriage certificate signed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as well as my kids birth certificates) - however I dont know if this can be done, or if there is a way they give my wife a "temporary visa" and we stay to lvie there.
Your wife needs a Canadian TRV (tourist visa) to enter Canada. She cannot apply for a TRV at the border. She needs to apply for this in advance and be approved before she can travel to Canada.

You need to start by applying for a TRV for your wife. Without this, your wife cannot enter Canada at this time.

Reactions: bellaluna

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

1, Whoever told you that "once my kids touch canadian land, they automatically become canadians" is wrong.
2. If you received your citizenship through birth or naturalization, not descent, and you were a Canadian citizen at the time of your children's birth, they are Canadian citizens. You have to apply for proof of citizenship for them https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/about.html You can apply for a Canadian passport at the same time for them. If you can demonstrate that their travel is urgent, a limited time passport or a facilitation visa on their Guatemalan passport.

Reactions: bellaluna

Sherine K

Star Member
Nov 6, 2018
I’m in a similar situation. I’m a PR living outside of Canada and applied for a TRV for my baby but it got denied. I included in my application that I intend to move to CA in 2020 and need a visa for my child to enter into CA as he was born after I got my PR. Can I do a new TRV application for him as a tourist visiting family with the intention to leave ? If not, What other travel document can I obtain to get him into Canada?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I’m in a similar situation. I’m a PR living outside of Canada and applied for a TRV for my baby but it got denied. I included in my application that I intend to move to CA in 2020 and need a visa for my child to enter into CA as he was born after I got my PR. Can I do a new TRV application for him as a tourist visiting family with the intention to leave ? If not, What other travel document can I obtain to get him into Canada?
Try to get your child a TRP

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your previous TRV is on file and so is the fact that his parents are PRs. Babies also don’t travel alone so an invitation from family to invite a baby would not make sense. As I told you yesterday you have to try for a TRP.