+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to canada working for an US Employer

AlohaIyer

Feb 19, 2019
Hello All.

My employer is US Based but allows remote from anywhere in the world. Is it possible to move into Canada with that?? I will have a job and salary, but what type of visa I will need??

1) Can I enter with visitor visa and switch it into a work permit?
2) Is thee any other temporary visa that will let me enter, stay for few months and change into a work visa ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All.

My employer is US Based but allows remote from anywhere in the world. Is it possible to move into Canada with that?? I will have a job and salary, but what type of visa I will need??

1) Can I enter with visitor visa and switch it into a work permit?
2) Is thee any other temporary visa that will let me enter, stay for few months and change into a work visa ?
1) No - you cannot. To qualify for a work permit, you must have a job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer must obtain an approved LMIA. Additionally the job offer would have to be for a job that is physically located in Canada.
2) No - there isn't.

If you want to be able to live in Canada and work remotely for a US employer, then you should focus on applying to immigrate through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry. Once you have PR, you will be able to live in Canada and work remotely.