+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada with pet (from tropical country)

kiyo

Apr 2, 2019
Hello all,
I have several concerns regarding pet living in Canada
I am going to move to Toronto in August with my 7 years old dog. He is used to the tropical season in my hometown and always take his "business" outdoor.
Toronto can be very windy and cold and there will be times when it's too cold to even go outside and I just do not want to make my dog suffer because of the sudden change.
Does anyone know any tips for a dog in the cold winter?

Also, he is quite attached to me, as most poodles are. I was doing a freelance job at home in my hometown so he just relaxed next to me. But that might not happen once we moved, because I have to find a job and might leave him alone in the house. I do not know how he will adapt, he might bark or whine. Are there any rules for a barking dog?

To anyone who has been in a similar situation, you are welcome to share here, anything at all, thanks :)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,
I have several concerns regarding pet living in Canada
I am going to move to Toronto in August with my 7 years old dog. He is used to the tropical season in my hometown and always take his "business" outdoor.
Toronto can be very windy and cold and there will be times when it's too cold to even go outside and I just do not want to make my dog suffer because of the sudden change.
Does anyone know any tips for a dog in the cold winter?

Also, he is quite attached to me, as most poodles are. I was doing a freelance job at home in my hometown so he just relaxed next to me. But that might not happen once we moved, because I have to find a job and might leave him alone in the house. I do not know how he will adapt, he might bark or whine. Are there any rules for a barking dog?

To anyone who has been in a similar situation, you are welcome to share here, anything at all, thanks :)
Everyone walks their dogs in winter. It's not a problem. If you google "walking your dog in winter" you'll find tons of help/suggestions online.

Each city / region has their own rules regarding animals. You'll need to research for the area where you will be living. Here are the rules for Toronto:

https://www.toronto.ca/311/knowledgebase/kb/docs/articles/municipal-licensing-and-standards/investigations/bylaw-enforcement-barking-dog-animal-noise-animal-noise-package.html

https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_591.pdf

Reactions: Copingwithlife

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
I’ve had dogs for 30 plus years in Toronto . Believe me, your dog will survive. They go outside , do their business and run back in. As for walking them, get them a jacket , maybe boots , and you’re set.
When you’re walking your dog outside and it’s getting too cold they’ll typically turn around and signal you “ Walks over, lets go back “
Or try to be carried if their paws are getting cold
There are approx seven million people in the GTHA, and god knows how many pets .
They survive

kiyo

Apr 2, 2019
@scylla and @Copingwithlife thank you for your shared information, its great to know the city is dog friendly. I will look thoroughly on all the rules :)

Some article on the internet said the air is so dry it can crack dog’s paw and nose, is it true though? Does rubbing it with coconut oil or petroleum jelly can help?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
@scylla and @Copingwithlife thank you for your shared information, its great to know the city is dog friendly. I will look thoroughly on all the rules :)

Some article on the internet said the air is so dry it can crack dog’s paw and nose, is it true though? Does rubbing it with coconut oil or petroleum jelly can help?
I have a poodle as well. When it's -20 C outside (that's only a very few days a year in Toronto), he goes out, does his business in about 30 seconds, and he's ready to head back in and curl up in front of the fire.

The houses are nice and warm so as long as you don't leave your dog out for an hour on a very cold night, you'll be fine. You don't need to worry about petroleum jelly or coconut oil.

Besides, poodles have a nice thick coat. They are well equipped to handle the winters here.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Plenty of options for dogs in winter, dog ‘boots’ for their paws, coats to keep body warm and expect somewhere can find winter ear muffs for dogs. Unlike some humans some of whom never seem to adapt to the cold , always whingeing when coming from a warm climate, dogs (and most animals) are adaptable and just get on with it.