+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada while daughter waits for proof of citizenship?

ars23

Jul 14, 2020
Hi All,

Our family currently lives in the USA. My wife is a dual Canadian/American citizen. I'm an American citizen and am currently having my application for permanent residency processed. Based on its current process, I'm hopeful that it will be completed in the near future. And so we are planning to move to Canada this summer.

My 14 year old daughter is American by birth, but qualifies for citizenship by descent as her mother (my wife) is Canadian born. We applied in July for her proof of citizenship, as we believed it was only supposed to take ~5 months. Now I've discovered that it can in fact take much longer. We have yet to receive any acknowledgement that our application was received, although I have FedEx tracking to show that it was delivered.

Can our family still move to Canada while awaiting my daughter's proof of citizenship? If so, will we be asked to provide some sort of documentation when we cross the border this summer?

Thanks for any thoughts!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

Our family currently lives in the USA. My wife is a dual Canadian/American citizen. I'm an American citizen and am currently having my application for permanent residency processed. Based on its current process, I'm hopeful that it will be completed in the near future. And so we are planning to move to Canada this summer.

My 14 year old daughter is American by birth, but qualifies for citizenship by descent as her mother (my wife) is Canadian born. We applied in July for her proof of citizenship, as we believed it was only supposed to take ~5 months. Now I've discovered that it can in fact take much longer. We have yet to receive any acknowledgement that our application was received, although I have FedEx tracking to show that it was delivered.

Can our family still move to Canada while awaiting my daughter's proof of citizenship? If so, will we be asked to provide some sort of documentation when we cross the border this summer?

Thanks for any thoughts!
You and your daugther can visit Canada at the moment.