+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada while awaiting PR

Jul 3, 2020
I am a Canadian citizen wanting to bring my US citizen spouse to Canada as soon as possible (we both live in the US now). The wait times are very long for PR, but I know many people move to Canada while their applications are in process. How does this affect our outland application if we move to Canada? Also, are border officials likely to be suspicious that Spouse is moving permanently to Canada since I am a citizen and Spouse has a PR application in the works, and then not let Spouse across? (Spouse would come over as a US visitor, I assume.) Should we disclose that Spouse has a PR application in process? (Are we required to disclose?) I know Spouse will not be able to work during this time. Thank you for your help.

Andre5

Star Member
Apr 26, 2020
With the recent June 8th announcement (https://www.canada.ca/en/border-services-agency/news/2020/06/changes-to-travel-restrictions-for-immediate-family-members-of-canadian-citizens-and-permanent-residents.html), I think you should be fine. Since your spouse is American, there is no need for him/her to get a tourist visa or anything, just a simple eTA. The only issue might be if they think your spouse will stay past 6 months (which I think is the maximum time Canadians/Americans can visit in the other country), but my instinct is that this is never a concern between the US and Canada. Neither of those two countries are concerned about illegal immigration from the other. I expect a smooth process for you.

Jul 3, 2020
Thank you for your help! Spouse definitely will not stay past 6 months (or whatever amount of time they're given), they are very concerned about following everything to the letter. Just not sure how to demonstrate this to the border agent (we don't own property anywhere and Spouse doesn't currently have a job).