+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada on Temperory vistor visa while PR is applied from USA.

Jenny parsely

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
Hi,

My name is Jen and my husband has applied for my canadian PR from USA. My husband is getting a job in Canada. So is it possible that I can move with him to canada on visitor visa? What if I change my home address from USA to Canada? Does that mean that my file will be hence forth processed in Canada rather than buffalo, NY? And also Will I face any problem while going to Canada since I have applied for PR and I am going to Canada on vistor visa? Please help me with these questions.

Thanks

Jen

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
You can enter and leave canada as a visitor while the PR is in process.
You can also change your mailing address to Canada but your file will still be processed outland through the Buffalo VO since you are a US citizen.
Only inland applications are processed in Canada and its a slightly different process.
You can be in Canada with an outland application. Many people do it this way so they can be with their spouse throughout the processing.
Technically, you are not allowed to 'move' until you receive PR status, but if you are with your husband it shouldnt be to much of a problem. When you cross the border, take proof of you application, for eg the receipt from paying the fees or a sponsor approval letter.

Good luck!

Jenny parsely

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
But I am an Indian citizen and my husband is Canadian citizen. So can I move with him on visitor visa ? Does that mean my file will be still processed in Buffalo NY?

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
Ahhh ok. You require a visitor to enter Canada. I thought you were a US citizen and visa exempt.
Is your husband applying for PR as a skilled worker? He is a canadian citizen already?

Your file will still be processed at Buffalo, provided you were admitted legally to the US for a minimum of 1 year.

Jenny parsely

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
I do have Canadian visitor visa issued and my husband is a Canadian citizen. I am living in USA legally for 3 yrs now and have also visited canada twice.

My husband had applied for his citizenship under family class and he used to stay with his family there, but now he is in USA on H1B visa.

Does that mean I can move with my husband on visitor visa, show my proof of UCI and Application number, change my address to canadian and my file will still be processed in Buffalo NY?

pinklady

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-12-2010
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
09-04-2011
If you have a valid visitor visa for canada you shouldnt have a problem.

Like I said, make sure you have plenty of proof of your ongoing PR application.

koala18

Star Member
Jan 16, 2012
pinklady said:
You can enter and leave canada as a visitor while the PR is in process.
You can also change your mailing address to Canada but your file will still be processed outland through the Buffalo VO since you are a US citizen.
Only inland applications are processed in Canada and its a slightly different process.
You can be in Canada with an outland application. Many people do it this way so they can be with their spouse throughout the processing.
Technically, you are not allowed to 'move' until you receive PR status, but if you are with your husband it shouldnt be to much of a problem. When you cross the border, take proof of you application, for eg the receipt from paying the fees or a sponsor approval letter.

Good luck!
hi pinklady, I am in a similar situation. My husband is in Canada (canadian citizen) and I am in the Philippines. We got married in Canada and submitted our application last April 12. I am back in the Philippines though for work and we though we could bear being apart while waiting for the PR VISA, apparently, not. WE are now thinking of me going to Canada and wait for the PR visa there. I have a multiple entry TRV so going there should not be a problem. However, here are my questions;

1. By when can I change my mailing address? The CIC hasn't started processing our application so it might be too early to do it now. Shall I do it once our application is transferred to CIC Manila? Please advise.

2. When I arrive to Canada with a one way ticket, is it ok to tell the immigration officer that I am there to visit my husband and wait for my PR visa? What other documents do they require as proof?

Thank you!!!

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
Hi Jen and Koala

From what I read on this forum, you can visit your husbands in Canada with visa (without visa if you are from visa exempt country) but under the conditions of the purpose of visa. If you go with temporary visitor visa, you must satisfy that you will leave before the visa expires (or extend). Many friends here suggest that you don't move with all your belongings! In the end you are not to enter with permanent status.