App. Filed.......
04-06-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with app
Med's Request
13-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-12-2014
Can someone who moved to Canada recently in the last year quickly summarize a To Do List before leaving the U.S. for good? Making the second biggest move of my life yet to Canada with family next month.
Like anything that would be helpful to do while still in the U.S. or before making the move.

Here is my status:
1) Almost 9+ years on H1B with approved 140 PD 2012 EB2-I. 11+ years in U.S. as of this writing.
2) For now will be working for current employer from home in Canada at least for the next year as we are planning on staying in Windsor and I'm sure I will not find a better job in a small city like that.
3) Wife will commute to Detroit for work everyday. Applied for Nexus just last week.
4) Should start looking for elementary schools for daughter in Windsor.

Can someone also help me with information about finding a nice place in Windsor which is close to the border? Price is not an issue as long as it is in a safe neighborhood and looks good. Hoping to hear back from you.

Thanks!

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Having your B4 customs form ready will probably be your first priority. If you are having a 3rd party move your belongings then that agency will need to have the customs form to give to CBSA on your behalf. My wife is moving from the States next week but we are renting a UHaul and driving it ourselves. I asked CBSA how much detail they need on these forms and got this response:

====================
For an overview of the laws, restrictions, and entitlements that affect people intending to settle in Canada we encourage you to consult our publication entitled Immigrating or Returning to Live in Canada, found at:

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html
(Please note that although the publication has been archived, the information is still relevant)

A settler describes all who enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time and for a period of not less than 12 months.

Before you settle in Canada, you must prepare two copies of a list, preferably typed, detailing all household and personal goods you are bringing into the country. Your list should describe the goods, giving such details as the value, make, model, and serial number of each item, particularly high-value items. Please note that we require the current value of goods, not the replacement value. The list should be divided into two parts, showing which items are accompanying the owner at the time of arrival and which items are to arrive at a later date as “goods to follow.”

For general household items such as books or clothing, a group listing and overall value is sufficient (e.g., kitchen utensils – $000). Since jewellery is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweller's appraisal and to include photographs that have been dated and signed by the jeweller or a gemologist. This information makes it easier to identify the jewellery when you first enter Canada, and later if you return from a trip abroad with this jewellery.

When you arrive in Canada you will have to give your list of goods to the border services officer, even if you do not have the goods with you at the time. Based on the list of goods you submit the officer will complete Form B4 or BSF186, Personal Effects Accounting Document, for you, assign a file number to your B4 or BSF186 form, and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt. You will need to present your copy of the form to claim free importation of your unaccompanied goods when they arrive.

Memorandum D2-2-1, Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00, provides information about the B4 or BSF186 forms for people settling in Canada. It can be found at:
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an officer by pressing “0” at any time after you have made a selection of either English or French.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.
====================

You'll need to decide whether it's worth it to export your car from the States and then import it into Canada (quite a detailed process). If the car is a clunker, then you'll be paying quite a bit once in Canada to get it through a safety inspection to licence it. Again, my wife decided to get rid of her car and will be getting a different car up here.
A good thread to read to understand that process is here:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/exporting-a-vehicle-from-the-u-s-and-importing-into-canada-complete-step-by-step-guide.539649/

Bringing any pets? http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/terrestrial-animals/imports/policies/live-animals/pets/eng/1326600389775/1326600500578

Last edited:
Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Can someone who moved to Canada recently in the last year quickly summarize a To Do List before leaving the U.S. for good? Making the second biggest move of my life yet to Canada with family next month.
Like anything that would be helpful to do while still in the U.S. or before making the move.

Here is my status:
1) Almost 9+ years on H1B with approved 140 PD 2012 EB2-I. 11+ years in U.S. as of this writing.
2) For now will be working for current employer from home in Canada at least for the next year as we are planning on staying in Windsor and I'm sure I will not find a better job in a small city like that.
3) Wife will commute to Detroit for work everyday. Applied for Nexus just last week.
4) Should start looking for elementary schools for daughter in Windsor.

Can someone also help me with information about finding a nice place in Windsor which is close to the border? Price is not an issue as long as it is in a safe neighborhood and looks good. Hoping to hear back from you.

Thanks!
Very interesting topic to me, but I am still waiting PR for my spouse. Almost 20 years in US, dual citizen, but when she gets PR and lands there I am planning as you commute to my workplace from Windsor to Southfield...
Also I would like to hear your future experience with cross-border taxation.