28/03/2014
Passport Req..
02/12/2014
VISA ISSUED...
19/12/2014
LANDED..........
01/04/2015
Hello,
My partner (Belgian) and I (Canadian) are making the big move to BC after getting sponsorship approval. We have questions that we cannot find online and hope to hear back from personal experience if possible.

1. Regarding health records, does my Belgian partner need to have a copy of her health records with her when we move to Canada? Does she simply ask her family doctor? Would I also need a record of my medical history for the time I have spent living in Belgium?

2. Since we are moving to BC, we understand that there is a waiting period for health insurance. Can anyone recommend universal health insurance that is reliable and affordable to purchase for that time period? I read it is much more expensive to purchase it when we are actually in Canada. Does anyone have personal experience? We have asked our current health care provider, but they are unable to extend our insurance for that extra time.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
khenderson said:
1. Regarding health records, does my Belgian partner need to have a copy of her health records with her when we move to Canada? Does she simply ask her family doctor? Would I also need a record of my medical history for the time I have spent living in Belgium?
You don't need to bring any of your health records over, but it could be beneficial to her. If she intends to move to Canada permanently and get a family doctor here, it would be good for them to have a record of past health issues or conditions. But it's not mandatory, as a doctor here can basically start from scratch if they need to.

2. Since we are moving to BC, we understand that there is a waiting period for health insurance. Can anyone recommend universal health insurance that is reliable and affordable to purchase for that time period? I read it is much more expensive to purchase it when we are actually in Canada. Does anyone have personal experience? We have asked our current health care provider, but they are unable to extend our insurance for that extra time.
Here's a link to get some quotes from Canadian companies: https://www.kanetix.ca/travel-visitors-to-canada

If you go with a Canadian company, there should be no difference if you purchase the policy in advance, or after arriving in Canada. There is usually a waiting period of a couple days before the insurance becomes effective.

I would recommend getting travel health coverage from a Canadian company due to:
1. It's easier to make claims and talk to a provider located in Canada, when you are in Canada
2. If you get travel coverage from a provider in another country, they may demand you travel back to that country as soon as possible after you encounter a sickness or accident, to continue your treatment

khenderson

May 7, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Paris
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30/06/2014
AOR Received.
19/08/2014
Med's Done....
28/03/2014
Passport Req..
02/12/2014
VISA ISSUED...
19/12/2014
LANDED..........
01/04/2015
Oh wow thank you for your very, very helpful responses. The website is great for the international health care and it's rather affordable too.

Also, we did get a health record for me and my partner from our doctor here in Belgium. It's a thick stack and all in Dutch so we will bring it with us to Canada for safe keeping and thus, have it translated if needed.