Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Here's what no one has asked so far.
Let's say I have an approved and valid i-140 and have been working in Canada for the last 2 years with a Canadian employer. This makes sure that I can reapply for a Canadian PR extension.
1. If I want to come back to the US and work for a US employer, I will first need to be present in the US to interview for said US employer.
2. How do I do that? Under what status do I enter the US for this interview?
My H1B was revoked the day I quit my previous US employer.
1. Not everyone asks you to come physically to appear for interview. You should have already known that thousands of new H1 gets issued without even stepping into the country for interview, correct? so whats the new thing now you are worried about as if there is no employer who recruits without in person interview.
2. you can try visitor visa. my neighbour (canadian) went for interview on B status but not sure if they easily allow other nationals that easily just for interviews(reason i say because US officers might suspect of overstay).

rthtor

May 4, 2018
1. Not everyone asks you to come physically to appear for interview. You should have already known that thousands of new H1 gets issued without even stepping into the country for interview, correct? so whats the new thing now you are worried about as if there is no employer who recruits without in person interview.
2. you can try visitor visa. my neighbour (canadian) went for interview on B status but not sure if they easily allow other nationals that easily just for interviews(reason i say because US officers might suspect of overstay).
You're simplifying the issue to the point of trivializing it. Yes, not everyone requires an in-person interview, but most do. Infosys USA filing an H1B petition for an Infosys India employee is the typical case in which what you said about an employer blind-filing for an employee is most often true.
You're in for a real surprise if you think that a US employer is just going to let you waltz in without an in-person interview.

destornillador

May 22, 2018
AOR Received.
18-05-2018
Here's what no one has asked so far.
Let's say I have an approved and valid i-140 and have been working in Canada for the last 2 years with a Canadian employer. This makes sure that I can reapply for a Canadian PR extension.
If I want to come back to the US and work for a US employer, I will first need to be present in the US to interview for said US employer.
How do I do that? Under what status do I enter the US for this interview?
My H1B was revoked the day I quit my previous US employer.
Completely agree with the above reply. When I was interviewing for Canadian companies from the US, even though I had a Canadian tourist visa (before I was officially a PR), most companies were willing to do a Skype interview for the entire process. If you did move to Canada as a PR, why would you move back to the US on an H1b visa or without getting the Canadian Passport? That defeats the purpose of moving to Canada, in the first place. If you are happy with H1b for life in the US, you should not move to Canada. The plan should be if you moved to Canada as a PR, to move to the US after the Canadian passport on a TN visa (Assuming Trump doesn't take that away from NAFTA). Cause then you'd have a fall back option of returning to a developed country if you loose the non-immigrant status. Also, TN visa has much less stringent requirements and does not need stamping like the H1B. The only downside with TN visa is that you can't apply for the immigrant visa aka the Green card.

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
Cause then you'd have a fall back option of returning to a developed country if you loose the non-immigrant status. Also, TN visa has much less stringent requirements and does not need stamping like the H1B. The only downside with TN visa is that you can't apply for the immigrant visa aka the Green card.
Keep running, keep chasing...

rthtor

May 4, 2018
Completely agree with the above reply. When I was interviewing for Canadian companies from the US, even though I had a Canadian tourist visa (before I was officially a PR), most companies were willing to do a Skype interview for the entire process. If you did move to Canada as a PR, why would you move back to the US on an H1b visa or without getting the Canadian Passport? That defeats the purpose of moving to Canada, in the first place. If you are happy with H1b for life in the US, you should not move to Canada. The plan should be if you moved to Canada as a PR, to move to the US after the Canadian passport on a TN visa (Assuming Trump doesn't take that away from NAFTA). Cause then you'd have a fall back option of returning to a developed country if you loose the non-immigrant status. Also, TN visa has much less stringent requirements and does not need stamping like the H1B. The only downside with TN visa is that you can't apply for the immigrant visa aka the Green card.
When I was interviewing for Canadian companies from the US, even though I had a Canadian tourist visa (before I was officially a PR), most companies were willing to do a Skype interview for the entire process.
My question and my comment were about US employers hiring in the US. What Canadian employers do is not the point of contention here.
We're in the "H-1B Holders in the U.S." sub-forum. I'm sure everyone here is aware of the fiery-hoop-jumping that is the norm in finding US employment (at least in the big-tech-city scene).

If you did move to Canada as a PR, why would you move back to the US on an H1b visa or without getting the Canadian Passport?
Q1. Everyone knows the answer to this question. As far is tech employment is concerned, even if all other parameters were assumed to be equal, the capital return on time in the US far outweighs that in Canada.
Q2. You're correct, it doesn't make sense to move back without citizenship.

If you are happy with H1b for life in the US, you should not move to Canada.
This veiled, condescending gate-keeping is unnecessary and not helpful.

The only downside with TN visa is that you can't apply for the immigrant visa aka the Green card.
You're hawking the TN visa for three sentences and then slyly introducing its absolutely crippling drawback in the last one.
We're in the "Moving to Canada from USA with Approved I140" thread. The TN visa doesn't help anyone here that is not in the ROW queue - which I'm guessing is everyone.

Last edited:

rthtor

May 4, 2018
I think what would be helpful in this thread is an avoidance of confirmation bias inspired circle jerking in an effort to yield a corroboration of each other's decision to leave the American dream behind for the Canadian one.
Several posts in this thread have a strong undertone of curiosity about a return to the US. None of the responses that address this curiosity are actually from people who have made it back (at least, it doesn't seem so from the response, please correct me if I'm wrong).
So, before forming an opinion on what it takes to move to Canada from the US with an approved I140 with the possibility of making it back, we need input from people who have actually made this happen.

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
If you are happy with H1b for life in the US, you should not move to Canada.
This veiled, condescending gate-keeping is unnecessary and not helpful.
If the eventual goal is to move back and settle in US, please do not waste a Canadian PR. Use a work permit or something like that.
There are desperate folks who aren't even getting an invite to apply for a PR. Not to mention over time, this could become a data point for CIC to evaluate future applications from certain folks in US, potentially affecting genuine applications wanting to move to Canada for good.

Condescending is when one uses Canadian system when it works or as a fallback, just waiting for an opportunity to jump ship.

rthtor

May 4, 2018
If the eventual goal is to move back and settle in US, please do not waste a Canadian PR. Use a work permit or something like that.
There are desperate folks who aren't even getting an invite to apply for a PR. Not to mention over time, this could become a data point for CIC to evaluate future applications from certain folks in US, potentially affecting genuine applications wanting to move to Canada for good.

Condescending is when one uses Canadian system when it works or as a fallback, just waiting for an opportunity to jump ship.
The number of PRs issued for EE SWP each year is not capped. Sure, a larger pool raises the mean CRS score, which means more competition, but it's still not capped.
So this talk of wasting a Canadian PR is pointless.

Using the same mental gymnastics that you subjected the readers to, would it be appropriate of me to claim that you wasted an H1B and denied some desperate folks a shot at it given that your eventual goal was to settle in Canada?
My claim is bolstered by the fact that the number of H1Bs issued each year is actually capped, and it is a lottery. So your alleged transgression is graver than mine?

By accusing me of waiting for an opportunity to jump ship, you're making my point for me about what I said earlier about circle-jerking.
What you're doing is self-congratulating for having made the right decision to settle in Canada and then shunning and ostracizing others for having made the decision to seek more. If you're truly happy with your decision, you needn't be concerned with what someone else decided to do.

And no, that is not what condescending means.

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
The number of PRs issued for EE SWP each year is not capped. Sure, a larger pool raises the mean CRS score, which means more competition, but it's still not capped. So this talk of wasting a Canadian PR is pointless.
Cap or not is irrelevant, just pointing out the lack of empathy for future applicants and for a system which treated everyone fairly unlike the country cap non-sense down south.

Using the same mental gymnastics that you subjected the readers to, would it be appropriate of me to claim that you wasted an H1B and denied some desperate folks a shot at it given that your eventual goal was to settle in Canada?
My claim is bolstered by the fact that the number of H1Bs issued each year is actually capped, and it is a lottery. So your alleged transgression is graver than mine?

By accusing me of waiting for an opportunity to jump ship, you're making my point for me about what I said earlier about circle-jerking.
What you're doing is self-congratulating for having made the right decision to settle in Canada and then shunning and ostracizing others for having made the decision to seek more.
H1B is a temporary work visa just like a Canadian work permit. If it works, stay if not leave, no big deal, no obligation. All concerned parties are aware right from get go. But accepting a residency (be it Canadian PR or US GC) and then doing all kinds of shenanigans for greener pastures just highlights one's selfishness especially when some folks start out with Canadian PR and citizenship as a fallback option.

You do you, keep running, keep chasing.

If you're truly happy with your decision, you needn't be concerned with what someone else decided to do.
Concerned for genuine applicants wanting to call Canada home and hoping their chances aren't affected by these shenanigans. Just like how some genuine candidates in H1B got messed up with all those international managers shenanigans etc.

And no, that is not what condescending means.
Just pointing out hypocrisy. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

rthtor

May 4, 2018
Cap or not is irrelevant, just pointing out the lack of empathy for future applicants and for a system which treated everyone fairly unlike the country cap non-sense down south.

H1B is a temporary work visa just like a Canadian work permit. If it works, stay if not leave, no big deal, no obligation. All concerned parties are aware right from get go. But accepting a residency (be it Canadian PR or US GC) and then doing all kinds of shenanigans for greener pastures just highlights one's selfishness especially when some folks start out with Canadian PR and citizenship as a fallback option.

Concerned for genuine applicants wanting to call Canada home and hoping their chances aren't affected by these shenanigans. Just like how some genuine candidates in H1B got messed up with all those international managers shenanigans etc.

You keep deflecting.
I hope you realize that you're quoting my points but not refuting any of them in your responses.

I only have two questions for you.
How is this shenanigans?
You correctly qualify the action with the "keep running, keep chasing" epithet. I agree with that. But I don't get how any of this is shenanigans.

Where is the hypocrisy?
How am I being hypocritical when I called out someone for being condescending? I originally said it when someone said "If you are happy with H1b for life in the US, you should not move to Canada." Nobody is happy with H1B for life. I called that person condescending because they were speaking from a position of assumed superiority for having escaped "H1B for life". I am not condescending if I want to secure a spot for myself in North America. I have spent a lot of time, energy, and money to get here, as have you and everyone else in this thread. How am I condescending? Do you even know what condescending means?

Last edited:

rthtor

May 4, 2018

You keep deflecting.
I hope you realize that you're quoting my points but not refuting any of them in your responses.

I only have two questions for you.
How is this shenanigans?
You correctly qualify the action with the "keep running, keep chasing" epithet. I agree with that. But I don't get how any of this is shenanigans.

Where is the hypocrisy?
How am I being hypocritical when I called out someone for being condescending? I originally said it when someone said "If you are happy with H1b for life in the US, you should not move to Canada." Nobody is happy with H1B for life. I called that person condescending because they were speaking from a position of assumed superiority for having escaped "H1B for life". I am not condescending if I want to secure a spot for myself in North America. I have spent a lot of time, energy, and money to get here, as have you and everyone else in this thread. How am I condescending? Do you even know what condescending means?

I don't think the core of this debate is about empathy or concern for genuine future PR candidates or a system that treats everyone fairly.
The core of this debate is the tendency of human nature to fester resentment towards the others that continued the pursuit of the dream that the self gave up on. Your use of "keep running, keep chasing" is a testament to that. I'm no fan of the rat-race myself, neither is anyone with any awareness. But everyone still has their right to their own choice.

It would be helpful to not perch oneself on a high horse and reign fire upon those that chose differently.

Last edited:

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019
I don't think the core of this debate is about empathy or concern for genuine future PR candidates or a system that treats everyone fairly.
The core of this debate is the tendency of human nature to fester resentment towards the others that continued the pursuit of the dream that the self gave up on. Your use of "keep running, keep chasing" is a testament to that. I'm no fan of the rat-race myself, neither is anyone with any awareness. But everyone still has their right to their own choice.

It would be helpful to not perch oneself on a high horse and reign fire upon those that chose differently.
You do you, there is a better girl around the corner, keep pursuing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly, that kind of selfish attitude shouldn't be welcome both in Canada and US. In a sense, current system in US keeps a check on those kind of immigrants and their impact to society. Hope Canada too adds some checks and balances.

RIP.

rthtor

May 4, 2018
Again, you keep deflecting.

Where is the selfish attitude?
Why is it selfish if I want to pursue a US PR after a Canadian PR? Maybe I have personal reasons for doing so? What current system in the US keeps a check on those kinds of immigrants and their impact to society?

This is the Sharmaji ka beta trope all over again. Except that, in this case, you're the parents and the beta.
You're fuming at the possibility of you calling yourself out for not chasing that US PR when Sharmaji's beta actually makes it happen.

Anyway, I don't expect your actually making a "change my mind" argument.
Good luck everyone! Be good to everyone. Each to their own demise. No need for judgement.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You do you, there is a better girl around the corner, keep pursuing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly, that kind of selfish attitude shouldn't be welcome both in Canada and US. In a sense, current system in US keeps a check on those kind of immigrants and their impact to society. Hope Canada too adds some checks and balances.

RIP.
......or a change in Government, is all that it would take