+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

moving to Canada from US

neelam13

Jan 6, 2016
Hi guys,

We just got our COPR and have to move by April. Currently we are in US on h1b visa. Need advice on whether it is a good option to move to canada considering the job market. My husband is an IT professional and am a pharmacist( India graduate)
Also if we reject the COPR can we apply for express entry again?
Any views on pros and cons of moving to canada from US will be appreciated from people who are or were in similar situation.

Thank you.

Reactions: ziapekua

MidoRafa

Star Member
Jul 5, 2012
You don't have to "move" by April. You just have to "land" by then, and you can take up to 3 years to make up your mind without being in breach of your Residency Obligation.
On the decision to move, there are more than one thread in this forum by people pondering the same question, one of them being (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/moving-from-usah1b-to-canadapr-t395760.0.html).

It clearly depends on each person's circumstances, objectives and priorities. Very generally, in the US, a highly educated/skilled person would make more money (probably a lot more) than in Canada, pay less for goods and service, and pay more for education and health coverage. In Canada you have a much shorter path to citizenship, free health coverage, cheaper education, but a smaller economy with fewer opportunities and a highly regulated job market for many professions.
That being said, IT professionals seem to be in high demand, while pharmacists need to get licensed through a relatively long process.

Best of luck!

Reactions: ziapekua

neelam13

Jan 6, 2016
MidoRafa said:
You don't have to "move" by April. You just have to "land" by then, and you can take up to 3 years to make up your mind without being in breach of your Residency Obligation.
On the decision to move, there are more than one thread in this forum by people pondering the same question, one of them being (http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/moving-from-usah1b-to-canadapr-t395760.0.html).

It clearly depends on each person's circumstances, objectives and priorities. Very generally, in the US, a highly educated/skilled person would make more money (probably a lot more) than in Canada, pay less for goods and service, and pay more for education and health coverage. In Canada you have a much shorter path to citizenship, free health coverage, cheaper education, but a smaller economy with fewer opportunities and a highly regulated job market for many professions.
That being said, IT professionals seem to be in high demand, while pharmacists need to get licensed through a relatively long process.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your detailed response.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Personal view but I suspect consensus on here would be that given you have gone to the trouble to go through the immigration process that you should try and make a landing before April even if for couple days .You then at least have nearly 3 years to test the job market out albeit remotely before you start to fail the residency obligation.

Of course if you let the current application expire by not taking up by April nothing to stop you applying again in the future but no guarantee would be approved again and you may always be asking what if you had made the initial step by April.

novsaggi

Star Member
Jan 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-09-2010
AOR Received.
26-01-2011
File Transfer...
20-12-2011 to Los Angels Office
Hi neelam
Like u guys similar to ur professions, we moved with a kid 2 years ago.
My experience is simple - I have never looked back.
My move was to Toronto.
Others may have a different experience.
And like u, i was skeptical to accept the PR landing and move.
Unlike in US, i have to now never think about visa, status change, job change, new paperwork, planning India visit without rethinking about visa stamping.

neelam13 said:
Hi guys,

We just got our COPR and have to move by April. Currently we are in US on h1b visa. Need advice on whether it is a good option to move to canada considering the job market. My husband is an IT professional and am a pharmacist( India graduate)
Also if we reject the COPR can we apply for express entry again?
Any views on pros and cons of moving to canada from US will be appreciated from people who are or were in similar situation.

Thank you.

neelam13

Jan 6, 2016
novsaggi said:
Hi neelam
My move was to Toronto.
Unlike in US, i have to now never think about visa, status change, job change, new paperwork, planning India visit without rethinking about visa stamping.

Thank you so much. this words are so encouraging :)

AlternativeConn

Star Member
Dec 13, 2016
If you have been approved for Canadian permanent residency and is planning to land in Canada soon, the Canadian Employment Connections (CEC) program at ACCES Employment can provide you with virtual employment services and help you build Canadian employer connection even before your arrival in Canada

This program is free of charge and is funded by the Government of Canada.

If you have post-secondary education and at least one year of work experience in the Financial Services, Human Resources, Engineering, Information Technology, Sales & Marketing, or Supply Chain sector, then you can benefit from the Canadian Employment Connections (CEC) program.

If you are interested, please message me or reply to this post and we can connect.

MKA8B4

Jul 27, 2017
US
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Hi Dear,

I am asking as I am an international student in the US, and wants to apply to immigrate to Canada through the entry express. I would like to ask if it is better Idea to use Assistant from Attorney David Cohen. I would appreciate your response.

Thanks
Marim Alnaed

MKA8B4

Jul 27, 2017
US
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
If you have been approved for Canadian permanent residency and is planning to land in Canada soon, the Canadian Employment Connections (CEC) program at ACCES Employment can provide you with virtual employment services and help you build Canadian employer connection even before your arrival in Canada

If you have post-secondary education and at least one year of work experience in the Financial Services, Human Resources, Engineering, Information Technology, Sales & Marketing, or Supply Chain sector, then you can benefit from the Canadian Employment Connections (CEC) program.

If you are interested, please message me or reply to this post and we can connect.

Hi Dear,

I am asking as I am an international student in the US, doing doctorate in Chemistry and wants to apply to immigrate to Canada through the entry express. I would like to ask if it is better Idea to use Assistant from Attorney David Cohen. Also, I want to find job but I do not know where to start. I would appreciate your response.

Thanks
Marim Alnaed

MKA8B4

Jul 27, 2017
US
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
Hi neelam
My move was to Toronto.
Hi Dear,

I am asking as I am an international student in the US, and wants to apply to immigrate to Canada through the entry express. I would like to ask if it is better Idea to use Assistant from Attorney David Cohen. I would appreciate your response.

Thanks
Marim Alnaed