+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada from US. What visa to use for short visits to US?

sidharth075

Dec 29, 2021
Hi all,

I’m currently on H1B in the US and moving to Canada on a PR in a couple of months. I have an approved I-140 and I would eventually like to return to the US whenever that is about to become current. However, I don’t expect that to happen anytime soon and I know I’ll be in Canada for a good 5-6 years at least.

I have a home in the US that I’ll be renting out. Even after I’ve moved to Canada, I would occasionally like to visit the US to check on the condition of my home and also to visit some relatives I have in the US.

My H1B will no longer be valid once I move to Canada. Any suggestions on how I can visit the US for short visits while I’m in Canada? B1/B2 visa seems like the obvious answer. But would applying for a B1/B2 impact my approved I-140 in any way? Will applying for a B1/B2 impact my ability to return to the US in the future on an H1B whenever my priority date becomes current?

ExpressoEntry

Star Member
Jun 30, 2018
Hi all,

I’m currently on H1B in the US and moving to Canada on a PR in a couple of months. I have an approved I-140 and I would eventually like to return to the US whenever that is about to become current. However, I don’t expect that to happen anytime soon and I know I’ll be in Canada for a good 5-6 years at least.

I have a home in the US that I’ll be renting out. Even after I’ve moved to Canada, I would occasionally like to visit the US to check on the condition of my home and also to visit some relatives I have in the US.

My H1B will no longer be valid once I move to Canada. Any suggestions on how I can visit the US for short visits while I’m in Canada? B1/B2 visa seems like the obvious answer. But would applying for a B1/B2 impact my approved I-140 in any way? Will applying for a B1/B2 impact my ability to return to the US in the future on an H1B whenever my priority date becomes current?
If you are from a country that does not have visa waiver for US then your best bet would be B1/B2 visa.