+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada from US... how much time do they give you to move?

kc247

Jul 25, 2014
I moved to the US from Canada to marry my husband just over 2 years ago. We have always planned to end up in Canada eventually. He graduates this May and will most likely try and work in his field here for a year or two to gain experience and save money to move.
I have heard different wait times. What is the average time to wait after we submit our application until we are approved? We most likely won't be doing it anytime too soon, as I have to renew my green card in a few months and that costs money so we will most likely wait until after that. I would just like to know what to expect and when we should start the process.
I remember when I moved to the US I had a certain amount of months after I received my visa to when I could move. Does Canada do this? It would be hard with jobs and moving to have to get up and move as soon as we were approved. Do they give us a time frame we have to be moved?
Sorry if these questions are asked all the time, I tried to search for them but so many threads are older and I want more recent information. :)
Thanks!

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
For outland US applicants, I think it's 4-8 months. Check out the thread for US applicants and/or the CPP-Ottawa thread to see the spreadsheet for a better idea.

The expiration of the COPR (confirmation of permanent residence) is tied to the medicals. It's generally a year after the medicals were done.

HOTW

Mar 14, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
7/10/2015
AOR Received.
27-11-2015
File Transfer...
08/12/15
Med's Done....
Upfront
My hubbys COPR gave bim 4 months to complete the landing

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
the approval process for US applicants applying outland is about 4-6 months.

once approved, the landing paper will have an expiration date on it. generally it's is close to or on the expiration of the medical. if the medical is expiring soon, then CIC will extend it to allow the applicant time to land.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nobody has told the OP that her/his spouse does not need to officially move to Canada for up to 3 years. ;)

The applicant must enter Canada to activate the COPR and land as a PR of Canada, before the expiry date, but can then return to the U.S., to get his/their affairs in order and then move to Canada. This would require the OP's spouse to complete the B4 Goods to Follow document so that the items would be imported without duties and taxes, when they do move.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Ponga said:
Nobody has told the OP that her/his spouse does not need to officially move to Canada for up to 3 years. ;)

The applicant must enter Canada to activate the COPR and land as a PR of Canada, before the expiry date, but can then return to the U.S., to get his/their affairs in order and then move to Canada. This would require the OP's spouse to complete the B4 Goods to Follow document so that the items would be imported without duties and taxes, when they do move.
True, but now they crack down on people who are not intending to live in Canada soon after the PR is granted, so OP would still have to make it look like they are moving to Canada in a reasonable time frame.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aquakitty said:
True, but now they crack down on people who are not intending to live in Canada soon after the PR is granted, so OP would still have to make it look like they are moving to Canada in a reasonable time frame.
Agreed, but the fact is that the new PR does NOT have to move to Canada until they are ready...but must do so within 3 years to meet the Residency Obligation to maintain their new status.