+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada from the US without work experience

abdel24hour

Jan 10, 2019
Good Morning,

My wife is American and I'm Egyptian, we'd like to move to Canada

BUT

Unfortunately, she doesn't have work experience, it's all about part time jobs and I've more than 3 years of experience.

She's graduated from Mechanical Engineer college but I didn't finish mine :( "I've only Secondary school"

She's now working as Freelancer Web Developer and I'm working as DevOps Engineer or Cloud Engineer

I read that if we want to you use the Express Entry, my wife have to have one year experience !

So what are exactly our opportunities for Immigration to Canada ?

I want her to make the application because I heard that US citizens are preferred

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Good Morning,

My wife is American and I'm Egyptian, we'd like to move to Canada

BUT

Unfortunately, she doesn't have work experience, it's all about part time jobs and I've more than 3 years of experience.

She's graduated from Mechanical Engineer college but I didn't finish mine :( "I've only Secondary school"

She's now working as Freelancer Web Developer and I'm working as DevOps Engineer or Cloud Engineer

I read that if we want to you use the Express Entry, my wife have to have one year experience !

So what are exactly our opportunities for Immigration to Canada ?

I want her to make the application because I heard that US citizens are preferred
US citizens are not preferred. Your country of origin does not matter. Having said that, it sounds like your wife should be the primary applicant due to her education (she will get more points).

For Express Entry (and most other programs), you need at least 1 year of full time and paid work experience in a skilled profession.

Your wife should focus on getting a full year of work experience in the US first - then you can look into apply for permanent residency in Canada.

abdel24hour

Jan 10, 2019
US citizens are not preferred. Your country of origin does not matter. Having said that, it sounds like your wife should be the primary applicant due to her education (she will get more points).

For Express Entry (and most other programs), you need at least 1 year of full time and paid work experience in a skilled profession.

Your wife should focus on getting a full year of work experience in the US first - then you can look into apply for permanent residency in Canada.
She's focusing on Freelance jobs right now, but how can she prove it as a work experience after she complete it ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She's focusing on Freelance jobs right now, but how can she prove it as a work experience after she complete it ?
It's more difficult to prove work experience with freelance jobs. Basically you have to prove that you have a full year of work experience through contracts, payments from clients, tax returns, etc.

abdel24hour

Jan 10, 2019
It's more difficult to prove work experience with freelance jobs. Basically you have to prove that you have a full year of work experience through contracts, payments from clients, tax returns, etc.
I got it but there's also something I don't understand our points together are 433 without her work experience on the ranking systems.

how the system accept that we're eligible ? and there's no place to prove my work experience, it's not fair ..

What if we went there for studying first? after one year can we immigrant from there ? or change the student visa to PR ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I got it but there's also something I don't understand our points together are 433 without her work experience on the ranking systems.

how the system accept that we're eligible ? and there's no place to prove my work experience, it's not fair ..

What if we went there for studying first? after one year can we immigrant from there ? or change the student visa to PR ?
She's not eligible without having at least a year of work experience. It doesn't matter how many points she has. If you want your work experience to be considered, then you would have to be the primary applicant (you will have much fewer points with just a high school education).

You cannot "change" a study permit to PR. You can certainly come here on a study permit if you qualify and are willing to pay international student fees. However you still have to qualify to apply and immigrate like anyone else.

abdel24hour

Jan 10, 2019
She's not eligible without having at least a year of work experience. It doesn't matter how many points she has. If you want your work experience to be considered, then you would have to be the primary applicant (you will have much fewer points with just a high school education).

You cannot "change" a study permit to PR. You can certainly come here on a study permit if you qualify and are willing to pay international student fees. However you still have to qualify to apply and immigrate like anyone else.
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate that, she just told me, she have a registered company a year ago in the US, startup, coffee company without physical location, Is this consider as a work experience ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks for the info, I really appreciate that, she just told me, she have a registered company a year ago in the US, startup, coffee company without physical location, Is this consider as a work experience ?
Registering a company is not work experience. Anyone can register a business. The company actually has to be running and she has to be working like it's a full time job. She will need to prove this with customer invoices / payments, tax returns, financial statements, etc.

How is it that you don't know your wife has a business? She can't be doing any real work for it if you don't even know about it.

She really needs to focus on getting real work experience that she can prove.

abdel24hour

Jan 10, 2019
Registering a company is not work experience. Anyone can register a business. The company actually has to be running and she has to be working like it's a full time job. She will need to prove this with customer invoices / payments, tax returns, financial statements, etc.

How is it that you don't know your wife has a business? She can't be doing any real work for it if you don't even know about it.

She really needs to focus on getting real work experience that she can prove.
of course I know I just didn't think about it because it's not a real work, she just get a couple of orders every month, not full time job of course.

So the only opportunities that we have for PR is

For me, studying diploma for one or two years in Canada
For her, get one year experience in web development whether it's freelance or full time job

Do you recommend anything else ? beside applying for companies in Canada to work directly and get work visa or job offer?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
of course I know I just didn't think about it because it's not a real work, she just get a couple of orders every month, not full time job of course.

So the only opportunities that we have for PR is

For me, studying diploma for one or two years in Canada
For her, get one year experience in web development whether it's freelance or full time job

Do you recommend anything else ? beside applying for companies in Canada to work directly and get work visa or job offer?
The chances of securing a job offer with a company in Canada is extremely low. I wouldn't spend time on this.

If you want to take the study permit route, then you will want to take a 2 year program (not 1 year) to qualify for a 3 year PGWP and have the highest chance of qualifying for PR.

What is your status in the US at this time?

abdel24hour

Jan 10, 2019
The chances of securing a job offer with a company in Canada is extremely low. I wouldn't spend time on this.

If you want to take the study permit route, then you will want to take a 2 year program (not 1 year) to qualify for a 3 year PGWP and have the highest chance of qualifying for PR.

What is your status in the US at this time?
Thanks for following up ..

Currently we're both living in Egypt .. why ?