+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada from the Uk

ANew1986

Apr 8, 2024
United Kingdom
Hello

I am looking for some advice on moving myself and my family to Alberta, there seems to be so many options and applications im not sure where to start. Myself and my husband are both wanting to work, im currently studying accountancy and my husband is a Class 1 HGV driver. what is the best route to go down, we also have 2 children. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello

I am looking for some advice on moving myself and my family to Alberta, there seems to be so many options and applications im not sure where to start. Myself and my husband are both wanting to work, im currently studying accountancy and my husband is a Class 1 HGV driver. what is the best route to go down, we also have 2 children. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you
Have you first researched Express Entry. If not, see if even eligible based on your age, education, language, skills and funds. That is first step.

ANew1986

Apr 8, 2024
United Kingdom
I have researched Express Entry but currently havent taken the English test as it seems we have to take these, would both myself and my husband have to ciomplete the test, or if we dont do them is there another option or route to apply? sorry ive read so much and many ways to apply.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I have researched Express Entry but currently havent taken the English test as it seems we have to take these, would both myself and my husband have to ciomplete the test, or if we dont do them is there another option or route to apply? sorry ive read so much and many ways to apply.
You also need ECA for your education. No other way as ECA and IELTS are required to submit an EE profile. One of you can be a primary applicant and then one of you submit ECA and IELTS. However, you may get more points if you both submit ECA and IELTS. For most PNPs, ECA and IELTS are required. For Alberta, right not your only option is through EE.

Only other option is for one of you to secure a job offer with LMIA. The LMIA proves no Canadian or PR has your skills, education or language to do the job. Then with LMIA, you apply for a closed work permit.

How old are you?

Last edited:

Sarah1980

Apr 15, 2019
Hello,

You either apply through express entry or provincial programs. Some provincial programs have an express entry program too, which means once a province nominates you it gives you 600 points in the express entry system and a guarantee of getting an ITA. Other provincial programs do not go through express entry.
If you know you want to go to Alberta then check what provincial programs they have and if any would be applicable.
If you are eligible for express entry without a provincial nomination I would recommend to go this route as it is the fastest and easiest, IF you have enough points to get ITA soon. So re-read express entry requirements, eligibility, etc.. and try to calculate how many points you would get (you can assume you will get full points for english test for example). This way you will also see who needs to take the english test, who will be the primary applicant, etc... (sometimes spouse english test points are not needed if you have enough points without it).

ANew1986

Apr 8, 2024
United Kingdom
Thank you for your help and advice

Looking at it, it would seem my husband would be the primary applicant as a transport truck driver as im only currently studying accountancy.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for your help and advice

Looking at it, it would seem my husband would be the primary applicant as a transport truck driver as im only currently studying accountancy.
Does he have a degree? He needs at least 67 selection points to be eligible.

Sarah1980

Apr 15, 2019

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi i have just done the calculator and it has come back with 366 points
This is unfortunately far too low to be selected through this immigration program. You'll need to investigate the provincial programs (PNP). I believe your husband will need a job offer in Canada to qualify but not entirely certain.