+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada difficult for US citizens

ForieV

May 26, 2018
Is it really that difficult to get into Canada? I was under the impression of you prove a grandparent was Canadian you could live there. I really want out of the US and thought Canada would be my home, it seems so much paperwork, proof you have funds. I wanted to move ,rent a flat ,get a job a live peaceful

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Is it really that difficult to get into Canada? I was under the impression of you prove a grandparent was Canadian you could live there. I really want out of the US and thought Canada would be my home, it seems so much paperwork, proof you have funds. I wanted to move ,rent a flat ,get a job a live peaceful
Your grandparents are not relevant. The only thing that matters is the status of your parents. If either one of your parents was either born inside Canada or became a citizen through immigration, then you would probably also be a Canadian citizen already.
If your parents though were born outside Canada, then regardless if they are citizens or not through your grandparents, you yourself would most likely not be a citizen.

If you are not a citizen, you will have to find a way to immigrate here same as everyone else in the world i.e. have necessary education and skilled work experience to qualify you.

Reactions: ForieV

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
No, you're going to have to go through the same hoops everyone else does. We are using an immigration law firm in Halifax and are 7 months into the "waiting game." You need money, skills, in some cases, youth, and patience. We're in line with everybody else. (BTW, we both have grandparents, not parents, all born in Canada going back the earliest settlers in Nova Scotia. The only thing that does for us, we're told, is help with some of the "soft" criteria.) If you're serious, start now because it will take a loooooooong time.

ForieV

May 26, 2018
Sadly my father was born in Indiana, his father immigrated from Canada to US , I never met him he passed away young a year before I was born. My father has met extended family in Munising MI and he was told we have family in Canada, Quebec. Maybe I'll have to be a visitor first. Been up to other parts of Canada but it's been yests,remembered it was very beautiful the countryside and friendly people.

ForieV

May 26, 2018
No, you're going to have to go through the same hoops everyone else does. We are using an immigration law firm in Halifax and are 7 months into the "waiting game." You need money, skills, in some cases, youth, and patience. We're in line with everybody else. (BTW, we both have grandparents, not parents, all born in Canada going back the earliest settlers in Nova Scotia. The only thing that does for us, we're told, is help with some of the "soft" criteria.) If you're serious, start now because it will take a loooooooong time.
Thank you. Times have truly changed. I lived in italy for 9 years and it wasnt difficult to immigrate. I met and married my husband, we moved back to US 14 years ago with children and this place is sadly become violent, disrespectful country, looking to live in peacefully and unfortunately Italys lack of employment and bad financials made us move back to US.

Reactions: Mort Sinclair

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Sadly my father was born in Indiana, his father immigrated from Canada to US , I never met him he passed away young a year before I was born. My father has met extended family in Munising MI and he was told we have family in Canada, Quebec. Maybe I'll have to be a visitor first. Been up to other parts of Canada but it's been yests,remembered it was very beautiful the countryside and friendly people.
That probably makes your father a Canadian citizen, but since he was born outside Canada that makes you the 2nd generation born abroad which means you are not eligible to have citizenship passed on. To be sure you can take the simple test: https://na1se.voxco.com/SE/56/amicanadiansuisjecanadien/?lang=en&tui=auto

Unfortunately as mentioned, only your parents status matters. Any other family that are Canadian citizens would be irrelevant to your own citizenship (although they may add points to your profile when you qualify to apply for economic immigration).