+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada but continuing to work in the U.S.

Kylie Kadey

Jun 22, 2020
I am an American citizen and my boyfriend is a Canadian citizen. I have an established career in the U.S. and want to continue working in the U.S. Is it possible to live in Canada with my boyfriend if we were to get married without ever working in Canada? Do I need to establish permanent residency first and would that require leaving my job for at least a year?

jddd

Champion Member
Oct 1, 2017
I am an American citizen and my boyfriend is a Canadian citizen. I have an established career in the U.S. and want to continue working in the U.S. Is it possible to live in Canada with my boyfriend if we were to get married without ever working in Canada? Do I need to establish permanent residency first and would that require leaving my job for at least a year?
You cannot move to Canada without becoming PR first. You can visit. You do not need to leave your job while your PR application is being processed. You do not need to leave your job even when you get your PR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You will need to become a PR before commuting back and forth between Canada and the U.S. will be feasible. There is no need for you to work in Canada or leave your U.S. job.