+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada before received COPR

guruguru1989

Star Member
Nov 28, 2019
Hello,

I just received my AOR. i am located in US and wondering if I could move to Canada use the visitor visa in June. The issue I have is that my US employer is in the process of laying off me. I can stay at the company till April.30 with two months grace period of the working visa. I am in H1B working visa and only have 1 years left, it is very difficult to transfer the H1B visa and looking for new jobs

Therefore, I am thinking if it is possible for me to use the visitor visa and wait in Canada?
another possibility is that could I move my stuff to a friend's apartment in Toronto and I will wait in my home country?

which one is more applicable? please let me know.

Thanks,
Appreciate all

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I just received my AOR. i am located in US and wondering if I could move to Canada use the visitor visa in June. The issue I have is that my US employer is in the process of laying off me. I can stay at the company till April.30 with two months grace period of the working visa. I am in H1B working visa and only have 1 years left, it is very difficult to transfer the H1B visa and looking for new jobs

Therefore, I am thinking if it is possible for me to use the visitor visa and wait in Canada?
another possibility is that could I move my stuff to a friend's apartment in Toronto and I will wait in my home country?

which one is more applicable? please let me know.

Thanks,
Appreciate all
The short answer is no. You cannot "move" to Canada on a TRV - you can only do that once you have the COPR. If you try to move to Canada on a TRV, you could very well end up with problems at the border. However if you want to try, you would want to come with a return ticket and very minimal belongings (one suitcase or two). You should only bring to Canada what a tourist normally brings.

You will not be able to import your belongings into Canada until you have the COPR. Your options are to leave them in storage in the US and bring them to Canada once you have PR - or to ship them home.

guruguru1989

Star Member
Nov 28, 2019
The short answer is no. You cannot "move" to Canada on a TRV - you can only do that once you have the COPR. If you try to move to Canada on a TRV, you could very well end up with problems at the border. However if you want to try, you would want to come with a return ticket and very minimal belongings (one suitcase or two). You should only bring to Canada what a tourist normally brings.

You will not be able to import your belongings into Canada until you have the COPR. Your options are to leave them in storage in the US and bring them to Canada once you have PR - or to ship them home.
thanks. I see your point may need find a storage in us and transfer belongings from storage Yo there later.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
To clarify, I already have the visitor visa. It is just matters of any technical issue around that.
As Scylla mentioned you can't really "move" to Canada. So if you try to move stuff which a normal tourist won't bring, you will face issues at border.

If you meant to leave some clothes at your friend's place that is fine but you can't mover furniture etc. from USA to Canada to leave at your friend's place. Also, you mention you just got AOR. Given the processing times these days you would need a lot of luck to get PPR before 6 months which is the longest period you can stay within Canada on your TRV.

You probably need a plan B to either sell or store your stuff in USA.