+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada and Retaining US number: VoIP vs DualSim

moving_guy

Jun 1, 2021
Hey there,

I'll be moving to Canada from the US shortly, and I want to retain my current US phone number. When I was in Canada before, and I was able to do this by having 1 SIM card that was a T-Mobile Talk & Text only plan for ~$20/month, and a cheap plan from a Canadian carrier in my other SIM slot for data. I now have a phone with only one SIM slot, so I was looking into alternatives.
One solution seemed to be that I could port my current US phone number to a VoIP service like voip.ms, and then forward calls to my Canadian carrier in my SIM slot, but I'm not sure how well this service works cross-border.
The other solution would be to use a Dual sim adapter product like https://www.simore.com/en/dual-sim-adapter-galaxy-s10-samsung-speed-zx-twin.html, but I'm not sure how well this product would work.
Anyone have any experience here/experience with cross-border VoIP providers?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hey there,

I'll be moving to Canada from the US shortly, and I want to retain my current US phone number. When I was in Canada before, and I was able to do this by having 1 SIM card that was a T-Mobile Talk & Text only plan for ~$20/month, and a cheap plan from a Canadian carrier in my other SIM slot for data. I now have a phone with only one SIM slot, so I was looking into alternatives.
One solution seemed to be that I could port my current US phone number to a VoIP service like voip.ms, and then forward calls to my Canadian carrier in my SIM slot, but I'm not sure how well this service works cross-border.
The other solution would be to use a Dual sim adapter product like https://www.simore.com/en/dual-sim-adapter-galaxy-s10-samsung-speed-zx-twin.html, but I'm not sure how well this product would work.
Anyone have any experience here/experience with cross-border VoIP providers?
1. Just buy an unlocked dual sim phone at Best Buy for less than $175.00

Jun 8, 2023
It's great to see that you're considering your options to retain your US phone number while moving to Canada. The challenges of cross-border communication can be tricky, but it's good that you're exploring solutions. VoIP services like voip.ms can offer a practical way to maintain your number and manage calls across borders. To further understand how to get a VoIP number and make it work effectively, you might find this informative article helpful: Visit Here. It's always a good idea to gather insights and information before making a decision.

Foxxo

Sep 24, 2021
Google voice works great for this purpose. It's free and you can make and receive calls and texts with the app. Unfortunately it does not support forwarding to Canadian numbers.