+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada after 2 years of soft landing, due to Covid Situation.

namanthakur

Jun 4, 2017
Hi Guys,

First here is my current situation, to better help and clarify the reason for the question that I am asking.

I did my soft landing in Nov 2019. I applied for a PR card and SIN Number. I stayed for 16 days in Toronto then I came back to my home country India ( i was planning to come back within 7-8 months). By December 2019 my PR cards were delivered to my relatives and the same was delivered to me in India on December 19 via a friend. After that Covid situation came up and I too had financial issues for the past year or so due to which I was not able to travel back to Canada. But now I am planning to enter Canada ( I have my pr Cards with me ) again in a few months. By that time it would be approx 2 years of living outside Canada.

My Questions are: -

1) Since the PR card documents clearly state that we have to be physically present in Canada for 730 days at least in the last five years. so entering Canada after 2 years won't hamper the condition for reapplying the PR card upon expiration after 5 years? (I know it's a silly question to ask but still reassuring the same.) or does living outside Canada for 2 years straight affect PR Renewal?

2) The condition of the last five 5 years is calculated from the date of landing or date of issue of COPR?

3) can I apply for citizenship immediately after one more year of renewing my pr card ( given I have completed my two years requirement / 730 days for PR card renewal ) or i have to wait for another 5 years?

Thanks - Please be kind ( i am asking these basic questions out of curiosity and reassuring purpose only)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
1. No problem entering
2. 5 years starts from your landing date
3.You can apply for citizenship when you qualify. PR renewal is a separate process.

Reactions: Naheulbeuck

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Hi Guys,

PR Status and PR card are separate issues, the card is just a tool that can be used to travel or to provide proof of PR status to institutions other than immigration.

Immigration only care about your PR status, i.e. that you meet the residency obligation of being in Canada 2 years out of 5 years at any time (or in the first 5 years).
The date that matters for you is your soft landing, Nov 2019, therefore before Nov 2024 you need to have been in Canada for at least 2 years or be able to stay in Canada for at least 2 years (days already spent in Canada + days still available before Nov 2024). Once you meet that obligation, it becomes having been in Canada for at least 2 years in the 5 years period at all time.

1. No issue, your absence, as long as it does not prevent you from meeting the above requirements, can be one long absence or many short ones.
2. Date of Landing, and after that rolling 5 years, On January 1, 2025, you will need to have been in Canada 730 days since January 2, 2020.
3. As mentioned above, you can apply when you qualify for Citizenship. Once you move back to Canada, you could never renew your PR card and apply for Citizenship while holding an expired PR card. If you do that, it will be harder to travel outside of Canada, but per say you do not need to have a valid PR card to have PR status.