+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to another Province

FYRTON

Apr 7, 2019
I'm planning to move to another Province while still waiting for my hearing. What is the proper procedure to inform IRB and transfer my file? Do I just fill the online Web Form? Thanks.

sherryl89

Star Member
Dec 4, 2018
Let me use Montreal, Quebec as an example (Assuming you wanna leave Quebec), as I don't know which province you are in. First, you inform the Social Welfare and your lawyer (If you intend to retain his/her services) about your intentions to move and when you are likely to move. Then the office of social welfare will close your file with them since you are gonna open in another province. Then you move. When you arrive at your new province, report back to the office of their social welfare which might have another name and then they open a new file for you and probably put you in a home or at a shelter pending the time you get your apartment. Then you will inform the IRB in the province you are in of your new address and also Canada immigration. Mind you, if you are staying at a shelter you must give them the temporary address pending the time you get an apartment and then you inform them again of the new changes. (I bet you don't wanna miss any mail)

If you intend to take your case file to the new province, just retain the service of a new lawyer who will inform Legal aid and IRB as your new solicitor and he or she will be in correspondence with your old lawyer. Mind you some lawyers don't have that time and it may require you to meet your old lawyer and get your file containing your BOC and handing them over to your new lawyer.

I hope I made some sense here.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have secured housing in your province please don’t move to a new province without securing housing in advance or being able to pay for housing. It is not as simple as showing up in a new city and expect to be given decent and safe housing. Doesn’t work that way and refugees showing up in cities like Toronto is costing Toronto taxpayers a fortune. If you have money saved or a place to stay by all means change provinces. If you have a legal aid lawyer you will need to inform your lawyer and find a new lawyer if you qualify for legal aid in the next province. Please do your research on the availability of housing in your budget in your budget before moving and the welfare rate in that province if you are not working yet.

FYRTON

Apr 7, 2019
@canuck78 Why do you assume that I live off welfare or need shelter? I am an engineer and I have received a job offer from another Province.

My question was about how to inform IRB about my move. I am neither on welfare nor legal aid.

Reactions: itzdrmac

Skyline2019

Feb 14, 2019
@canuck78 Why do you assume that I live off welfare or need shelter? I am an engineer and I have received a job offer from another Province.

My question was about how to inform IRB about my move. I am neither on welfare nor legal aid.
Just inform your lawyer about your change in address they’ll send letter to irb on your behalf asking to transfer your file to another province. Thts what we did while we moved our file from alberta to bc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Didn’t I say if you have money by all means change provinces. Also said “if” throughout my post.