+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to another province under PNP

CanadHockey

Jan 7, 2014
Hello everybody

I made a big research about this topic, and I saw too many different views and opinions.

I applied for Permanent Resident under the Manitoba PNP in 2009 and got the PR and landed in the beginning of 2011.
I spoke to the MPNP office any they told me that I can't move, that I must stay in Manitoba, otherwise its under my responsibility and the PR can be cancelled or I will not be able to get a citizenship. Even after I will become a citizen I'm not allowed to move, that's what I was told by the office.

I know people that moved from one province to another, but their immigration was under Federal Skilled Worker program, and not Provincial Nominee.

When i applied 5 years ago I totally intended to live and settle in Manitoba. But today, 3 years after the landing, as it happens in life, things can change and suddenly your plans are changing...

I will be thankful for any information.
Thank you and have a great day anyone!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No issues moving to another province - go ahead.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MPNP would surely like you to stay in Manitoba forever. However, legally, there is nothing they can do to stop you. When you applied, I am sure you signed a document of intent to settle in Manitoba because that is what everybody signs. However, you never signed anything stating how long you will stay. Intentions can change, especially over a lifetime.

There are no cases that I know of that a province has gone after a PR who left and even if they tried, they would have to start with the people who leave right away after landing. In order to have a hope of getting your PR revoked, they would have to accuse you of having committed misrepresentation when you said you intended to settle in MB. In order to accuse you of misrepresentation, they would have to show that you already had plans to leave Manitoba when you signed the document and when you landed. If somebody had landed and left a week later, they might have a hope of proving that but for somebody who stayed 3 years, no chance.

Manojgdv

Star Member
Nov 18, 2015
Hello everybody

I made a big research about this topic, and I saw too many different views and opinions.

I applied for Permanent Resident under the Manitoba PNP in 2009 and got the PR and landed in the beginning of 2011.
I spoke to the MPNP office any they told me that I can't move, that I must stay in Manitoba, otherwise its under my responsibility and the PR can be cancelled or I will not be able to get a citizenship. Even after I will become a citizen I'm not allowed to move, that's what I was told by the office.

I know people that moved from one province to another, but their immigration was under Federal Skilled Worker program, and not Provincial Nominee.

When i applied 5 years ago I totally intended to live and settle in Manitoba. But today, 3 years after the landing, as it happens in life, things can change and suddenly your plans are changing...

I will be thankful for any information.
Thank you and have a great day anyone!
Hi,

How did you end up finally. Were there any challenges while renewing your PR or citizenship? How long did you stay in same province?
I am also in same boat, I got my PR through Ontario province, finished soft land and got my PR card, but I am planning to settle down in BC.Is that fine?

Can you share your experiences?

Naheulbeuck

Aug 14, 2015
Hi,

How did you end up finally. Were there any challenges while renewing your PR or citizenship? How long did you stay in same province?
I am also in same boat, I got my PR through Ontario province, finished soft land and got my PR card, but I am planning to settle down in BC.Is that fine?

Can you share your experiences?
It depends on quite a few factors. Once PR you are allowed to move province, but provinces can still go after you if they can show that you lied on your application: they would need to show that you did not have the intent of settling in Ontario. For someone like the OP who stayed years in the province of his PNP, it is impossible for the province to go after him as he clearly demonstrated his intent. For someone like you who, from your post, seem to have never settled at all in Ontario, proving that you never had the intent to settle there would be pretty easy for the province so it will only depend on whether someone finds out you settled in BC/whether they want to pursue cancelling your PR. Overall, it is pretty unlikely I would say but it really depends on circumstances and honestly luck. It will be a risk you'll need to assess for yourself as it is very case by case.

Reactions: YVR123