+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to another country after PR application has been submitted?

55way

Star Member
Sep 29, 2012
I am hopeful some folks might be able to provide some advice or feedback regarding our situation.

In February 2014 we submitted my wife's permanent residency application (from within Canada) and in April we received notification that my "application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada". Since then there has been no word so my assumption is we are looking at February~April 2015 before anything happens.

Since then I have been informed that my company may be relocating me to their UK offices (possibly at the end of this calendar year) for a 3~5 years. Given this I have a few questions I need feedback on:

1. Once confirmed I will be moving, should I just give up on PR for my wife for now and attempt to withdraw my application? Is this possible?

2. Incidentally her visitor visa expires in a few weeks so should I be renewing this asap before we leave Canada just in case?

3. Should she stay here in Canada until the PR comes through and then join me in the UK?

Not really sure what to do in this case but I should find out in about 2 weeks if I will actually be moving. Appreciate any feedback/advice. Thank you.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
if you applied inland, i'm pretty sure it's a requirement that you both have to stay IN canada until approval. An applicant can not move out of canada and expect their inland application to be processed, it will be cancelled. I don't *think* the sponsor can move out of canada either if it's an inland application.

since your wife is visa exempt and from the UK, you are probably far better off withdrawing the inland applicaiton, moving to the UK and applying OUTLAND. Keep in mind, the "trend" for straight forward cases in the UK seem to be 8-10 months, with some recent applicants getting approved quicker, which means CIC will want to see significant proof that you both will move back to Canada IMMEDIATELY upon approval. Applications have been rejected because plans to move back were too far out, and the visa office was not convinced the couple would move back immediately.

If it's not looking like you want to move back to Canada within the next year, after just receiving a new job offer in another country, then it's probably best to table the application until you are ready... and at that point ONLY CHOOSE TO APPLY OUTLAND!!!!!

55way

Star Member
Sep 29, 2012
Thank you that sounds like good advice.

1. How does one withdraw and already submitted application and would there be any chance of reclaiming any of the $1200 spent?

2. As her visitor visa expires soon (before we will be leaving the country) I assume it would be best to renew her existing Visitor visa, right?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
55way said:
Thank you that sounds like good advice.

1. How does one withdraw and already submitted application and would there be any chance of reclaiming any of the $1200 spent?

2. As her visitor visa expires soon (before we will be leaving the country) I assume it would be best to renew her existing Visitor visa, right?
1. i am not sure how to go about withdawing, though i'm sure there are instructions on the website. assuming your application hasn't starting processing (most likely the case because you are inland), then you should receive all the money back. there is a chance you will lose the sponsor fee if they've already started the eligibiltiy stage of the process. generally, when an application is withdrawn, the sponsor fee is not returned, from what i understand. Because you are inland, that may not be true in your case.

2. yes, if she plans to be in canada after her visa expires, she will probably want to extend. i believe a person has 90 days to restore status if they their status expires without an extension. though if she plans to leave soon after her visa expires, she may not even need to go through the hassle. i think it would depend on how long she plans to stay in canada for.

fandv

Aug 8, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22 Jan 2013
AOR Received.
CPC-M: None. Singapore: 25 Apr 2013
File Transfer...
17 Apr 2013
Med's Request
2nd request: 5 Feb 2014
Med's Done....
1st: 12 Dec 2012. 2nd: 11 Feb 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14 Feb 2014 and also e-CAS changed to "In Process" on that day. Passport got to Singapore: 12 Mar '14
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made on eCAS: 12 April 2014. Visa n COPR issued 8 April 2014, received 16 May 2014.
LANDED..........
20 May 2014. PR card arrived on 29 July 2014.
rhcohen2014 said:
CIC will want to see significant proof that you both will move back to Canada IMMEDIATELY upon approval. Applications have been rejected because plans to move back were too far out, and the visa office was not convinced the couple would move back immediately.
I kind of don't understand the CIC's logic...?

Before the application is finalised: sponsors (if outside Canada) have to provide proofs of intent to return, or else the application is at risk of getting denied.

Yet after PR's been granted: sponsors can be outside Canada, and if a sponsored person accompanies a Canadian citizen spouse outside Canada, the sponsored person is considered to satisfy the residency requirements.

How come...?

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
fandv said:
Yet after PR's been granted: sponsors can be outside Canada, and if a sponsored person accompanies a Canadian citizen spouse outside Canada, the sponsored person is considered to satisfy the residency requirements.
i imagine it's because CIC doesn't want to just approve applications of people who are obviously planning to NOT be in canada. if a couple writes in their application that they plan to move back to cnada and then knowingly only do for a short period of time, i would think that's considered misrepresenation, and the pr CAN be revoked.

I also assume people leaving right after PR is a LOOPHOLE CIC hasn't done much, or can do much, to fill in. CIC certainly can't spend time and money checking in on the living situation of every person they approve. Generally as adults, we have to adhere to the honor system and CIC assumes that when someone says they want to settle in canada long term, they actually DO want to do that!

I am guessing it is not CIC's intentions to just accept people as PR just so they can go live and work in another country. If a couple is not ready to settle in canada long term, then there is NO need for a person to become a PR. that is just a waste of government funds and time, and in my opinion highly unethical! to each their own, but i for one hope people who do this get their status revoked. it's ridiculous that people can get away with that intentionally when there are honest hardworking people trying to do it the right way.

i don't think you can blame CIC on this one. I think you can blame the unethical and entitled behaviors of applicants who try to scam the system. it's one thing if plans change unknowingly (because life certainly does throw curveballs), but to do it knowingly means they've lied about their intent in their application, which is misrepresentation.

Z86

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
if you applied inland, i'm pretty sure it's a requirement that you both have to stay IN canada until approval. An applicant can not move out of canada and expect their inland application to be processed, it will be cancelled. I don't *think* the sponsor can move out of canada either if it's an inland application.

since your wife is visa exempt and from the UK, you are probably far better off withdrawing the inland applicaiton, moving to the UK and applying OUTLAND. Keep in mind, the "trend" for straight forward cases in the UK seem to be 8-10 months, with some recent applicants getting approved quicker, which means CIC will want to see significant proof that you both will move back to Canada IMMEDIATELY upon approval. Applications have been rejected because plans to move back were too far out, and the visa office was not convinced the couple would move back immediately.

If it's not looking like you want to move back to Canada within the next year, after just receiving a new job offer in another country, then it's probably best to table the application until you are ready... and at that point ONLY CHOOSE TO APPLY OUTLAND!!!!!
What will happen for the below scenario

* Currently am on a closed work permit working in Canada after moving from US on an Intra Company transfer visa for the same employer
* I have started my ECA evaluation and preparing for IETLS
* If I submit my EE profile and waiting in the pool - meanwhile if my employer wants me to move back to US - What will happen to my application which was submitted inland ? Does it get nullified ?

ipaykwai

Aug 10, 2013
manila
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
-06-2019
Nomination.....
-02-2019
AOR Received.
-06-2019
Med's Request
10-2019
Passport Req..
14-02-2022
VISA ISSUED...
21-04-2022
LANDED..........
2-04-2022
Hi I have an active outland PR application that I submitted last year, and recently I have received a job offer to singapore. I plan to accept that job offer while waiting for the result of PR application. is there any effect on the PR that i submitted from my home country while work into another country?