+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving things to Canada from UK

emytee

Oct 7, 2017
Hello there,

I have recently received COPR and my partner and myself are trying to sort out what to do next in terms of getting our stuff over to Canada.

I have commitments at work so will not be able to land in Canada until the summer.
However, both my partner (sponsor, Canadian citizen), myself and my mum and dad are going to be visiting Canada in Easter. We booked this trip ages ago, before we even started the PR application - we didn't know it would go through so fast!

So my partner and I were thinking that we could take over some bits and bobs with us in Easter, to save us having to pay to have them shipped over with our 'Goods to follow'. We are thinking of buying a couple of cardboard boxes to put things in, as well as what we squash in our suitcases. We were thinking of taking over clothes, shoes, books, dvds, maybe a couple of games consoles.

My question is - is this ok? Will we be breaking some kind of law? Will customs want us to pay duty / tax?
Are we better off just adding this stuff to the 'Goods to follow'?

Thank you for your time!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello there,

I have recently received COPR and my partner and myself are trying to sort out what to do next in terms of getting our stuff over to Canada.

I have commitments at work so will not be able to land in Canada until the summer.
However, both my partner (sponsor, Canadian citizen), myself and my mum and dad are going to be visiting Canada in Easter. We booked this trip ages ago, before we even started the PR application - we didn't know it would go through so fast!

So my partner and I were thinking that we could take over some bits and bobs with us in Easter, to save us having to pay to have them shipped over with our 'Goods to follow'. We are thinking of buying a couple of cardboard boxes to put things in, as well as what we squash in our suitcases. We were thinking of taking over clothes, shoes, books, dvds, maybe a couple of games consoles.

My question is - is this ok? Will we be breaking some kind of law? Will customs want us to pay duty / tax?
Are we better off just adding this stuff to the 'Goods to follow'?

Thank you for your time!
1. Yes, it is fine, since your spouse would be considered a returning resident if she has been outside Canada for more than a year. So no taxes/duties.
2. To you intend to "land" on your easter trip? They would be considered goods accompanying, no taxes duties.
3. Although if you "landed" at Easter, you would need your PR card to return or a PR travel document.
4. I assume you have applied for an ETA for Easter, if it is not your intention to "land"

emytee

Oct 7, 2017
Hi

1. Yes, it is fine, since your spouse would be considered a returning resident if she has been outside Canada for more than a year. So no taxes/duties.
2. To you intend to "land" on your easter trip? They would be considered goods accompanying, no taxes duties.
3. Although if you "landed" at Easter, you would need your PR card to return or a PR travel document.
4. I assume you have applied for an ETA for Easter, if it is not your intention to "land"
Thanks for the reply!

No, I don't think we will be landing as we want to be in Canada early in the summer and the PR card may not have come through in time. Not sure I want to apply for a PR travel document - seems a bit of a headache.

So, since I'm not landing, how will customs look at any things I take through? They won't be classed as 'Goods accompanying', after all. So is it ok for me to take things, or should we just stick to taking my partner's stuff?

Yes, I have applied for an ETA ready for Easter!