Moving stuff from USA to Canada

jattu1980

Star Member
Mar 3, 2010
Fairfax, VA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello people,

So I moved to Toronto, Canada from US last year February. Most of my stuff is still in Pittsburg, USA. When, I landed, I did declare a list of goods to follow and I have the official document I got from the government.

The problem is I do not have a toursit visa yet for the States. So I cannot go and get my stuff from there.

Is it possbile that one of my friends, who is here in Canada with me, and has a valid permit for the states, go and get it for me? On the border crossing, he can show the form I have so that the goods are allowed through. Would there be a problem?

Thoughts and suggestions will be really appreciated.

Cheers,
JT

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't see why that would be a problem. Just be reachable by cell phone in case they call you and have a detailed list of all the stuff. It is kind of like if you had hired a moving company to take care of your stuff for you. I don't see why it would be different if it is your friend.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
CBSA may want you to be present at the border when the goods are brought across. Is there anyway you can meet you friend at the port of entry? Of course, there is no guarantee US CBP will allow your friend in to get your stuff if they find the circumstances suspicious.

yetmablue

May 31, 2012
Hello I'm new to Canada myself. I immigrated from the US. I used UPS to ship the remaining boxes. I have a brother who shipped them for me. Yes I spent around $80 per box of 75 lbs. My brother had to prepare a list of what are in the boxes, which county they are made and what's the value. Shipping time is within a week. UPS called me and asked for passport and PR, and pronto, customs cleared them and they were delivered to my door....