Med's Done....
11-07-2017
Passport Req..
24-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2018
LANDED..........
17-04-2018
Currently living in the UK and sponsored my wife for PR. But we are not sure if it's best for our son to finish the school year here or just move ASAP and finish remainder in Ontario

Anyone have best experiences with this. He is in Year 7 here (high-school) but in Ontario there is no middle-school so he'll be in a elementary.

Our present plan is to move in April - though we have house and business to sort - so likely one of us will have to return to sort that out.

Thanks.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How long for your son to finish the school there?

Wonderland_1010

Champion Member
Aug 24, 2015
Regina, SK
Category........
PNP
New school year for Canada starts in September and for UK I believe its start Jan or Feb because of 3 terms. And since OP child is in year 7 which is equal to elementary school, he could try finish his Term 1, 2 and 3 this year and then join junior high school later in Canada.

He should start looking for schools to join first and ask if they will accept him when the fall semester start in September 2018

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
New school year for Canada starts in September and for UK I believe its start Jan or Feb because of 3 terms. And since OP child is in year 7 which is equal to elementary school, he could try finish his Term 1, 2 and 3 this year and then join junior high school later in Canada.

He should start looking for schools to join first and ask if they will accept him when the fall semester start in September 2018
Should change to Ontario instead.

FYI, students can study grade 7 & 8 at middle schools in parts of British Columbia, Canada.

Reactions: Wonderland_1010

SRafiq

Star Member
Dec 4, 2016
Manchester
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
12-02-2017
Doc's Request.
23-06-2017
Nomination.....
29-06-2017
AOR Received.
23-06-2017
File Transfer...
29-08-2017
Med's Request
27-06-2017
Med's Done....
11-07-2017
Passport Req..
24-11-2017
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2018
LANDED..........
17-04-2018
How long for your son to finish the school there?
He finishes end of July here. Quite a long time.

Just to clarify. UK school starts in September and has 3 terms, 2nd term in Jan and 3rd after Easter. Generally finishes end of July.

I believe that in parts of Manitoba also has middle schools for years 7 & 8.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He finishes end of July here. Quite a long time.

Just to clarify. UK school starts in September and has 3 terms, 2nd term in Jan and 3rd after Easter. Generally finishes end of July.

I believe that in parts of Manitoba also has middle schools for years 7 & 8.
Go for soft landing. Let your child finish his school year in UK and in the mean time one parent can arrange things in Canada (get apartment and a job). As first 3 months are rather difficult. So with your schedule he can join you in July.
A very simple solution there.

Reactions: SRafiq

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Kids adapt. If you have to move before your child finishes school he will be fine. School ends in June (end) in Canada.

rooster7

Dec 16, 2017
Go for soft landing. Let your child finish his school year in UK and in the mean time one parent can arrange things in Canada (get apartment and a job). As first 3 months are rather difficult. So with your schedule he can join you in July.
A very simple solution there.
Good advice. We're in a similar situation. We're doing a soft landing in April. My wife and kids come back, and join me in July after the kids finish school.

anujoshi

Star Member
Apr 18, 2015
Toronto, ON, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Schools here start in September but registrations and new students are accepted year-round. And schools here are based on the year of birth of your child, so it's not like he gets any extra credit for finishing a certain grade in UK. He will be put with kids exactly his age by year. I think moving early would give your kids a routine (but then you have to think about transportation, dropping them off, after-school where they'll stay depending on age and if you/your wife are both working). Waiting till later will give you time to figure that all out while the kids will be home in the summer on summer vacation. Really depends on your family situation. Lot of people opt to have family come later after the main applicant has figured out job/living arrangements here. Good luck!

Reactions: Wandering Mind

vidya2019

Nov 14, 2019
Schools here start in September but registrations and new students are accepted year-round. And schools here are based on the year of birth of your child, so it's not like he gets any extra credit for finishing a certain grade in UK. He will be put with kids exactly his age by year. I think moving early would give your kids a routine (but then you have to think about transportation, dropping them off, after-school where they'll stay depending on age and if you/your wife are both working). Waiting till later will give you time to figure that all out while the kids will be home in the summer on summer vacation. Really depends on your family situation. Lot of people opt to have family come later after the main applicant has figured out job/living arrangements here. Good luck!
In order to start 1st grade ( for eg), are we supposed to show previous school records or are they not needed?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

In order to start 1st grade ( for eg), are we supposed to show previous school records or are they not needed?
1. Not required. School district will have an evaluation office to determine if the child requires additional language training. Also will probably be asked for a copy of their vaccinations.

Reactions: vidya2019