+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving province after PR because of discrimination? Any advice?

arcticbeans

Star Member
Feb 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does anyone have experience of moving province after gaining PR?

We landed and activated our PR just over three months ago, at first we loved our province. I found a job I loved immediately, we bought a beautiful home with cash from our savings, my wife started making friends at mother and toddler groups and everything looked great.

Very quickly though the discrimination and abuse started. I won't go into too much detail but it has become so bad that we have had to move banks three times due to the horrific treatment by staff of my wife. Each time we have had a full apology and compensation from the banks, but it just keeps happening. That is just the tip of the iceberg, a lot worse things happened too.

My wife, who has lived all over the world and has never had difficulties making friends and settling in before has been asked to leave five different toddler play groups as they apparently "foreigners aren't welcome".

Our two year old son's swings and slide in our yard have been vandalised, the people in our street find it funny to send their dogs (rottweilers) into our yard (and onto our deck) to snarl and growl at my wife and son to frighten them into going back inside. I have seen it too, and we have CCTV footage of it all. We have told the police and shown them the footage but all they do is go around and talk to the people, they won't do anything else.

My wife has been threatened to "go back home" multiple times too, including by a " neighbour" who broke into our home to threaten her and our little boy.

So much more has happened too :(

We have now lived in three different places in the province, but still within commuting distance for me, but everywhere is the same. My wife is so depressed that she vomits several times per day and our local doctor says the stress is badly affecting her health. She is becoming too frightened to go outside at all and has panic attacks daily, which is nothing like her.

I have just received the job offer of a lifetime from another province, would we be allowed to accept and leave this province? I have emailed CIC and our province describing the above and asking but have no response yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am feeling very low at the minute. :(

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
See my signature

Sorry to hear that you face such hardship. It's never should have happened and its disheartening

(And can I make a wild guess it's Saskatchewan?)

arcticbeans

Star Member
Feb 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you MF, we were hoping that was the case, you just hear horror stories of revoked pr. No its not Sask, I'm worried about saying too much but its Atlantic Canada. We are so miserable here, this was our dream :(. We genuinely intended to spend the rest of our lives in this province.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
arcticbeans said:
Thank you MF, we were hoping that was the case, you just hear horror stories of revoked pr. No its not Sask, I'm worried about saying too much but its Atlantic Canada. We are so miserable here, this was our dream :(. We genuinely intended to spend the rest of our lives in this province.
It is unconstitutional to revoke PR just based on moving out of a province. Those who got revoked are accused of planning to move to another province before landing as PR. And they have to have evidence against you because you are innocent until proven guilty. That includes things like pre-arranged jobs outside of province of nomination, a house bought and plans to move in (Investment properties are fine if it can be proven as such)

Try other cities in the Atlantic I guess? In general, people in larger cities are more tolerant of immigrants and more liberal than rural farmers and ranchers. This is not always true as I am seeing opposite in rural Sask. People had been great to me.

The land is big and possibilities are endless.

mehtab007

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arcticbeans said:

We landed and activated our PR just over three months ago, at first we loved our province. I found a job I loved immediately, we bought a beautiful home with cash from our savings, my wife started making friends at mother and toddler groups and everything looked great.

Very quickly though the discrimination and abuse started. I won't go into too much detail but it has become so bad that we have had to move banks three times due to the horrific treatment by staff of my wife. Each time we have had a full apology and compensation from the banks, but it just keeps happening. That is just the tip of the iceberg, a lot worse things happened too.

My wife, who has lived all over the world and has never had difficulties making friends and settling in before has been asked to leave five different toddler play groups as they apparently "foreigners aren't welcome".

Our two year old son's swings and slide in our yard have been vandalised, the people in our street find it funny to send their dogs (rottweilers) into our yard (and onto our deck) to snarl and growl at my wife and son to frighten them into going back inside. I have seen it too, and we have CCTV footage of it all. We have told the police and shown them the footage but all they do is go around and talk to the people, they won't do anything else.

My wife has been threatened to "go back home" multiple times too, including by a " neighbour" who broke into our home to threaten her and our little boy.

We have now lived in three different places in the province, but still within commuting distance for me, but everywhere is the same. My wife is so depressed that she vomits several times per day and our local doctor says the stress is badly affecting her health. She is becoming too frightened to go outside at all and has panic attacks daily, which is nothing like her.

I have just received the job offer of a lifetime from another province, would we be allowed to accept and leave this province? I have emailed CIC and our province describing the above and asking but have no response yet.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am feeling very low at the minute. :(

Very sorry to hear. I'm guessing you guys are not "White". But such direct harassment is too much... Are you a Muslim by any chance? Don't mind my asking... because as a Muslim.. the thought of getting discriminated indeed sometimes crosses my mind.

arcticbeans

Star Member
Feb 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks MF, unfortunately my line of work means we need to live in a rural area. We do own a house and live here, we can also, I think, prove beyond reasonable doubt that we intended to live here in this province permanently, we have tried really hard to fit in, settle and become part of the community but have been rejected at every turn. Glad to hear things are going well for you :)

Mehtab thanks. We are white, European origin and Christian, well, my wife is Christian, I am an atheist. My wife hasn't been allowed to join a Church here, they have all asked her to leave as they say they are for "real Canadians" only, another thing which is really upsetting her, she has tried over twenty different churches, in different areas, and has had the same response from each. My wife is a bilingual french/english speaker and speaks both life a native. I don't mind you asking at all.

thinkshady

Jun 26, 2016
NOC Code......
arcticbeans said:
Thanks MF, unfortunately my line of work means we need to live in a rural area. We do own a house and live here, we can also, I think, prove beyond reasonable doubt that we intended to live here in this province permanently, we have tried really hard to fit in, settle and become part of the community but have been rejected at every turn. Glad to hear things are going well for you :)

Mehtab thanks. We are white, European origin and Christian, well, my wife is Christian, I am an atheist. My wife hasn't been allowed to join a Church here, they have all asked her to leave as they say they are for "real Canadians" only, another thing which is really upsetting her, she has tried over twenty different churches, in different areas, and has had the same response from each. My wife is a bilingual french/english speaker and speaks both life a native. I don't mind you asking at all.
This is very unfortunate, sorry to hear that mate. You have a genuine reason to move to a different Province and I do not see any reason your PR being revoked.

arcticbeans

Star Member
Feb 4, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks thinkshady. It has been pretty rough, but hopefully things will get better if I accept this job offer and move.

ashuindian

VIP Member
Jan 5, 2016
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
4Jan16
Nomination.....
01Jun16
AOR Received.
17Jan17
File Transfer...
09 Feb17
Med's Request
08 Jun17
Med's Done....
13 Jun17
Passport Req..
05-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2018
LANDED..........
15-05-2018
mehtab007 said:
Very sorry to hear. I'm guessing you guys are not "White". But such direct harassment is too much... Are you a Muslim by any chance? Don't mind my asking... because as a Muslim.. the thought of getting discriminated indeed sometimes crosses my mind.
How can they differentiate Hindus and Muslims? Actually they are looking like same.

ashuindian

VIP Member
Jan 5, 2016
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
4Jan16
Nomination.....
01Jun16
AOR Received.
17Jan17
File Transfer...
09 Feb17
Med's Request
08 Jun17
Med's Done....
13 Jun17
Passport Req..
05-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2018
LANDED..........
15-05-2018
arcticbeans said:

Oh, very scary Truth. How can I survive. Not white, not Christian, not Bilingual?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
arcticbeans said:
My wife hasn't been allowed to join a Church here, they have all asked her to leave as they say they are for "real Canadians" only,
Seriously though, a church denies people from attending is just plain stupid. Defeats the whole purpose of being a church, really

mehtab007

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ashuindian said:
How can they differentiate Hindus and Muslims? Actually they are looking like same.
First of all... when anyone joins a small rural Atlantic province community, gradually people will come to know about your faith.

Not really.. Please think more than Hindu-Muslims.
Muslims can be brown South Asians (like the majority of Hindus from India), Arabs , white Europeans , Turks, Central Asians or even Oriental / South East Asian people. Not all look same!

And I specifically mentioned about discrimination with Muslims, because Islamophobia is a very real thing and many many ignorant people associate ALL of us Muslims with ISIS/ Extremism/ Terrorism/ Radical Islam. Infact, they fail to see that often it is the Muslims who are the first victims of such terror attacks.

arcticbeans said:
It's really shocking... and all the while people have this notion that "Whites" cannot face racism!
Just like Muslims can be victims of terrorism.. I guess in a same way Whites too can be victims of Racism and Xenophobia.
We all should come out more and talk about such incidents.
I hope you have better in a new province and you should shift because under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, you can move to other province easily.
immigration.ca/en/immigration-wiki2/43-canada-immigration/168-mobility-rights-of-canadian-permanent-residents-under-provincial-immigration-programs.html
Wish you and your family all the best!

mehtab007

Star Member
Jan 22, 2012
India
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ashuindian said:
Oh, very scary Truth. How can I survive. Not white, not Christian, not Bilingual?
True. It may be difficult for us to survive in RURAL communities of Atlantic provinces.

neweishy

Oct 15, 2016
arcticbeans said:

[/would you mind me asking which province]

ashuindian

VIP Member
Jan 5, 2016
India
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
4Jan16
Nomination.....
01Jun16
AOR Received.
17Jan17
File Transfer...
09 Feb17
Med's Request
08 Jun17
Med's Done....
13 Jun17
Passport Req..
05-03-2018
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2018
LANDED..........
15-05-2018
mehtab007 said:
True. It may be difficult for us to survive in RURAL communities of Atlantic provinces.
Which provinces are called Atlantic region area? Are you from Pakistan?