+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving personal belongings to Canada via Upack/ABF - goods will reach before I cross the border...

smgeorge

May 20, 2019
I did my soft landing to activate my Canadian PR in August 2018. Since it was a soft landing, I did not fill out the BSF 186 and 186A forms.

Now that I am planning on making the actual move (from the US) to Toronto, ON, I will be going ahead with ABF/Upack to move our essential belongings. They'll pick up a packed Relocube and have it moved to Canada before we actually cross the border. They just asked that we provide them with copies of our passport, visa, and BSF 186 and BSF186A.

I was concerned that our goods would be subject to tax/duty if they crossed the border before we had a chance to have the forms stamped/cleared at the border. ABF/Upack said that our container/cube would sent to their holding facility in Brampton ON, and we would have to clear customs at Toronto when we get there before they release the container.

While this all sounds easy and straightforward, I am still concerned about the accuracy of the ABF/Upack representatives information. Will I be charged tax/duty if my goods cross the border before I do, but have a stamped BSF 186 and 186A when I go to collect my goods?

Thanks in advance!

tiktok

Aug 19, 2019
Hi -did you move to canada? I am using upack to move from texas to toronto. How was your experience with them? Did you end up paying tax/duty for the used stuff that you moved? Did you have to appear at the border in person when your container was crossing?
Appreciate your response.