+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving Outside Canada after DM

zayzo

May 9, 2017
Hello,

I have completed my citizenship test in March 15, and a day later I have received my DM status. Have been waiting for the oath invite later, but still no update from CIC. During the test, they informed us that it may take 3-6 months for oath ceremony, so this might be normal.

Last month, I decided that I will go to graduate school overseas for 2 years starting early June. I have been crossing my finger that I will get the oath ceremony before then, but the closer to my departure date the less likely I will be able to get the letter.

Should I call CIC and request for urgent processing? I look into the requirement for urgent processing, but it doesn't look like studying overseas is listed. I have the proof of travel and school admittance letter, perhaps this can be used as reasonable ground to expedite the oath ceremony?

At the same time, I am also worried that CIC might re-question my intent to live in Canada since I will be away for study overseas, and in the worst case cancel my DM and ask me to submit RQ. Anyone has experience about this or can provide advice?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
Going abroad for studies is not a reason to believe you are not residing in Canada unless you actually request CRA to consider you a non-resident and/or you go to study in a country of which you are a citizen (and thus, don't need a student visa).

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Going abroad for studies is not a reason to believe you are not residing in Canada unless you actually request CRA to consider you a non-resident and/or you go to study in a country of which you are a citizen (and thus, don't need a student visa).
How do you know what IRCC considers a reason to question your residency intentions or not? I would say with the OP's oath date apparently close, its just not worth the risk.

romanbel0

Nov 13, 2016
I am not an expert, but I do believe that going to study abroad does not breach your intent to reside. After MBA abroad you might want to return to Canada to work. Moreover, I would not agree with an advise to postpone your program. Do not let government affect your personal or professional life in a drastic way: we can not wait forever for a mercy from CIC while sacrifying our plans for life and career. The passport isnt worth it, you can have many of them. But you live only once.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
How do you know what IRCC considers a reason to question your residency intentions or not? I would say with the OP's oath date apparently close, its just not worth the risk.
1. A request to CRA for non-resident status means you have no intent to live in Canada.
2. Among the conditions for a student visa is the intent to return to the home country.
And more importantly,
3. Bill C-6 was approved. The intent to reside in Canada has been removed from the citizenship requirements and anyone who will or has lost their citizenship based on that requirement will recover their citizenship.

The burden of proof is always on the OP.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
1-July-2013

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I think people are missing the point. The OP already has DM. The oath is probably very close. Why risk going abroad and potentially missing the oath date and having to explain all this to IRCC. I cant imagine postponing an academic program for a semester if necessary is a terrible life changing event. However, dealing with IRCC after missing an oath because you were abroad might be. I would only go abroad, if OP is absolutely certain there is someone to inform him of the oath date and he can return on short notice. Even then, there is still the CBSA inspection, so better make sure there is no reason to question PR status upon return.

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
May 17th, with amendments, messaged back to the House of Commons, expected to be approved.
http://www.parl.ca/legisinfo/BillDetails.aspx?billId=8117654&Language=E&Mode=1

The HOC hasn't even looked at the new amendments that came out of the Senate yet. I would suspect saying they will approve it is a stretch since there are some who are saying the 3 new amendments will not all pass scrutiny from the HOC. They are expected to read and discuss when they return the beginning of June.