+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving out of Canada while application status In Progress

DavidCanada21

Jan 7, 2021
Hi All,

I submitted my application early last year (2020) and my application status is In Progress.

Due to Covid, my parents need help back in my home country and I might need to go back to help them, probably for a couple of years.

I searched the forum and couldn't find a clear answer of what that would entail for my application.

1) Would I loose my application ?
2) Should I inform CIC of my absence ?
3) What are my options ?

Thank you.

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I submitted my application early last year (2020) and my application status is In Progress.

Due to Covid, my parents need help back in my home country and I might need to go back to help them, probably for a couple of years.

I searched the forum and couldn't find a clear answer of what that would entail for my application.

3) What are my options ?

Thank you.
1. No
2. Yes
3. You have to come back for test and oath ceremony.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi All,

3) What are my options ?

Thank you.
1. No
2. Yes
3. You have to come back for test and oath ceremony.
The answer to the second question is NO. You do NOT have to inform IRCC if you travel out of the country. However, your PR status must be in good standing up until the point you take your oath (PR in good standing = Having at least 2 years physical presence in the last 5 years).

Also, yes for Q3, you MUST be in Canada for oath and test. In case you get additional document request, you must be able to submit those on time.

Reactions: Linear M

Nocturno

Jun 5, 2016
Hello,

Reusing this thread to avoid creating a duplicate of my own - it was created at an opportune time as I have a very similar problem.

The one difference is that I have yet to apply - I will meet the residency requirements shortly, but will need to move back to my home country for a while right after that. I have a dilemma about the postal address - at least with the old (offline) process, it was said that I need to maintain a mailing address in Canada as the invitation to the test will be send to that with 21 days to reply. I'm super scared of missing that - will they not also send any pertinent information to the e-mail address as well? Do I need to pay a representative here in Canada to monitor their mailing address on my behalf? Would love to avoid that expense, if it's in any way possible.

I see there's a new online application process as well - will that avoid the need for a physical mailing address? Unfortunately the link that somebody posted - https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/ - is opening a blank page for me.

Thanks so much for your help!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello,

Reusing this thread to avoid creating a duplicate of my own - it was created at an opportune time as I have a very similar problem.

The one difference is that I have yet to apply - I will meet the residency requirements shortly, but will need to move back to my home country for a while right after that. I have a dilemma about the postal address - at least with the old (offline) process, it was said that I need to maintain a mailing address in Canada as the invitation to the test will be send to that with 21 days to reply. I'm super scared of missing that - will they not also send any pertinent information to the e-mail address as well? Do I need to pay a representative here in Canada to monitor their mailing address on my behalf? Would love to avoid that expense, if it's in any way possible.

I see there's a new online application process as well - will that avoid the need for a physical mailing address? Unfortunately the link that somebody posted - https://citapply-citdemande.apps.cic.gc.ca/ - is opening a blank page for me.

Thanks so much for your help!
As a result of COVID-19, applicants are now getting their test invites and oath invites via e-mail. For some reason, some applicants are getting AOR via snail-mail even though they have provided an email address on their application, which is weird.

It is mandatory that you provide a Canadian address for your 'Home address'. The application form specifically asks for it.

AFAIK, the online citizenship application is not very different from the paper application, except that it can be submitted online.

Whether you go with a representative or with a family / friend, that's up to you. I would strongly recommend that you also check this with someone who was in your situation (who provided a different address other than their own address), just to be sure if this can be done.

Good luck.

JasSJ

Jan 30, 2021
Hi All,

3) What are my options ?

Thank you.
2) Yes, you need to inform them- https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/after-apply-next-steps.html
It is mentioned on the website that if you are planning to leave Canada for more than 2 weeks in a row while the application is in process, then they need to be informed.

avanipatil

Dec 11, 2016
Hi All,
Using this forum to get answers for some of my questions.
I am living at my current address for more than 3 years now. All my documents have this address. But I and my wife are now leaving for a road trip around Canada for 1 year. That means we will not have any fixed address for about a year.

Before leaving I want to apply for my citizenship, which I am planning to apply by next week. Is it okay if I use my current home address as my Driving license has the same. But what will happen when I will not be here. Would I be receiving anything in the mail? Would this create any problem later on?

Please advise!

Ahmadd

Sep 16, 2020
Hi All,
Using this forum to get answers for some of my questions.
I am living at my current address for more than 3 years now. All my documents have this address. But I and my wife are now leaving for a road trip around Canada for 1 year. That means we will not have any fixed address for about a year.

Before leaving I want to apply for my citizenship, which I am planning to apply by next week. Is it okay if I use my current home address as my Driving license has the same. But what will happen when I will not be here. Would I be receiving anything in the mail? Would this create any problem later on?

Please advise!
Firstly You should provide your email address to receive communication from IRCC electronically and secondly you can rent a post box in canada post and give address in application form for that post box number so your mail will be delivered there if you do not have any other reliable family or friends mailing address.