+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving my girlfriend here

roygbiv

Sep 25, 2018
I am a Canadian citizen by birth. My girlfriend is Vietnamese. We are getting married next year. Been together for a year now.

Was wondering about getting her listed as a dependent and common law to move her here? She said we have to wait until we are married for a year before I can try it and having children could help in the process.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Have you lived together for a year continuously? If you have, you could sponsor her as common law, but you need to be living together.

roygbiv

Sep 25, 2018
No haven't been living together. She has not visited any country outside of Vietnam. She just has a Vietnam passport. She doesnt have strong finances. She has some education but not in a STEM field. I'm waiting to get back into the military to show stronger finances.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
So you cannot sponsor her as common law unfortunately then. Get married and go down the spouse sponsorship route if she hasn't got strong finances.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Having children or getting pregnant will in NO way speed up the process. You'll have to move to Vietnam if she gets pregnant and want to live as a family. Anticipate a year long sponsorship process before she is able to move to Canada after you get married and initiate a sponsorship application. Not sure how many times you have met in person or how much time you have spent together but if you have only met one or two times would focus on at least another visit. Also would start documenting your relationship and looking into what is required for sponsorship.

Reactions: Will_PA

roygbiv

Sep 25, 2018
A short stay Visa for under 6 months if we aren't married and she hasn't left Vietnam is out of the question you think? She told me that she would need to travel to larger countries such as Korea and Japan first and have high amount of savings.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
A short stay Visa for under 6 months if we aren't married and she hasn't left Vietnam is out of the question you think? She told me that she would need to travel to larger countries such as Korea and Japan first and have high amount of savings.
She can try but with no travel history and no strong ties to her country, she is unlikely to be approved.

You should focus an getting married and applying for spousal sponsorship.

Reactions: roygbiv