+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving in to Canada as a single mom

Badethpr

Jan 14, 2018
Hi, I just signed up for the Express Entry. I included my son on my application so I could bring him with me. My concern is, what will be the arrangement for me and my son if all goes well? Of course I am new to this country, what do you guys think is going to happen? I see, it is illegal to leave my kid home alone while I am working. Can anyone share their insights with me on how my situation can work out well for me and my kid? He is 6 years old by the way. I just don't want to be away from my kid.

Thanks guys.

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
Hi, I just signed up for the Express Entry. I included my son on my application so I could bring him with me. My concern is, what will be the arrangement for me and my son if all goes well? Of course I am new to this country, what do you guys think is going to happen? I see, it is illegal to leave my kid home alone while I am working. Can anyone share their insights with me on how my situation can work out well for me and my kid? He is 6 years old by the way. I just don't want to be away from my kid.

Thanks guys.

There are a few hurdles that single parents need to overcome even before getting to Canada. Things that CIC will be requiring include: (assuming the reason you're a single parent is divorce from the child's other parent)

1. divorce papers/custody plan specifically allowing the child to be removed from his home state/country to immigrate to Canada.
2. IMM5604 form signed by the non-accompanying parent.
3. The child will require a passport (which may involve getting the other parent's cooperation)

But yes, in Canada, children are generally not allowed to be home by themselves at a young age, and as certainly as young as 6. You may need to find a daycare or after school program if you don't have another responsible adult you know you can trust your child with.

As a PR, both you and the child do need to be able to be reside inside Canada at least 730 days in a 5 year span.

Badethpr

Jan 14, 2018
There are a few hurdles that single parents need to overcome even before getting to Canada. Things that CIC will be requiring include: (assuming the reason you're a single parent is divorce from the child's other parent)

1. divorce papers/custody plan specifically allowing the child to be removed from his home state/country to immigrate to Canada.
2. IMM5604 form signed by the non-accompanying parent.
3. The child will require a passport (which may involve getting the other parent's cooperation)

But yes, in Canada, children are generally not allowed to be home by themselves at a young age, and as certainly as young as 6. You may need to find a daycare or after school program if you don't have another responsible adult you know you can trust your child with.

As a PR, both you and the child do need to be able to be reside inside Canada at least 730 days in a 5 year span.
Hi Jordo,

Thanks for the reply. Actually, I was not married when I had my son and my son already have his passport so far no issues were raised. But I do hope things will work well in processing both our visas.

Thanks by the way for this, "You may need to find a daycare or after school program if you don't have another responsible adult you know you can trust your child with." This is something I should seriously plan on before moving in; if all goes well.

Thank you again.

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
If the father is still alive, even if you were never married, then you still need that IMM5604. Hope all works out well for you.

EDIT: Some countries like the Philippines award the mother automatic sole legal custody of illegitimate children. As I'm unsure about your circumstance, I can't comment further.

Reactions: Badethpr

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should look into to cost of daycare, camps during the summer and after school programs depending on where you plan on moving so you can adjust your budget based on the cost. Depending on the city and province it can be quite expensive.

maaleemqf

Nov 27, 2018
Hi Jordo,

pardon me for making entry like this. But i have a question here. What if the father is missing or not in contact at all? Is there any other way of it?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Jordo,

pardon me for making entry like this. But i have a question here. What if the father is missing or not in contact at all? Is there any other way of it?
You should obtain sole legal custody of your child if you want to move to Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok. so you mean guardianship certificate.
No - that's not what I mean. A guardianship certificate just means the child is under your care.

You need sole legal custody of the child. This is typically granted by the court and means the child's other parent no longer has legal rights to the child.

maaleemqf

Nov 27, 2018
No - that's not what I mean. A guardianship certificate just means the child is under your care.

You need sole legal custody of the child. This is typically granted by the court and means the child's other parent no longer has legal rights to the child.
In my country the legal custody is with the mother by default. Unless the father approached the court and wins the custody. The second thing is guardianship rights. Mother has to attain it through court. It grants all legal rights of the child to the mother. It will be enough or not?

maaleemqf

Nov 27, 2018

Let me explain it futher. The father of the child left the country after divorcing me. I am left alone with the child here. Now my family wants me to move to Canada along with my elder sister. So how can I make my documents cleared for the process since the father is not in touch at all.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Let me explain it futher. The father of the child left the country after divorcing me. I am left alone with the child here. Now my family wants me to move to Canada along with my elder sister. So how can I make my documents cleared for the process since the father is not in touch at all.
What country?

You can't just move to Canada with your sister. You need to actually qualify on your own merits.

maaleemqf

Nov 27, 2018
What country?

You can't just move to Canada with your sister. You need to actually qualify on your own merits.
I am from Pakistan. My sister is in toronto. Ofcourse i will apply on my own. But in my case what necessary documents do i need to have. Are there any visas available for single parent mothers like myself?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am from Pakistan. My sister is in toronto. Ofcourse i will apply on my own. But in my case what necessary documents do i need to have. Are there any visas available for single parent mothers like myself?
As scylla has said, you need to obtain full legal custody from the court. The guardianship is not enough.

There is no "single parent" visa. You need to qualify for immigration like everyone else. https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html

maaleemqf

Nov 27, 2018
As scylla has said, you need to obtain full legal custody from the court. The guardianship is not enough.

There is no "single parent" visa. You need to qualify for immigration like everyone else. https://www.canada.ca/en/services/immigration-citizenship.html
The only document that a court can give me is guardianship certificate, along with my custody document. In that scenerio am i not eligible for canada? And cases like myself have no opportunity?