+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving household goods from U.S. back to Canada

mugs60

Aug 26, 2016
I'm not sure where to post this but have a question about moving some furniture from the U.S. back to my home in Ontario. I'm a Can PR with a place in the U.S. I'm currently downsizing. I'm working with a mover in the U.S. I expect the mover to take care of all the paperwork but am wondering if I have to be at the border in Can when the goods arrive in the moving truck. Does anyone know what the process is?

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
I'm not sure where to post this but have a question about moving some furniture from the U.S. back to my home in Ontario. I'm a Can PR with a place in the U.S. I'm currently downsizing. I'm working with a mover in the U.S. I expect the mover to take care of all the paperwork but am wondering if I have to be at the border in Can when the goods arrive in the moving truck. Does anyone know what the process is?
It is not clear how long you have been out of Canada or whether you were going back and forth between the two locations. This site is archived but has useful information for returning residents; I imagine that you should be able to find the current version on the main site.

IndianBos

Oct 8, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19-Jun-2014
Nomination.....
16-Oct-2014
File Transfer...
11-Dec-2014
Med's Request
24-Apr-2015 (Delayed for adding a child)
Med's Done....
9-May-2015 (Updated 29-May-2015)
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
17-Jun-2015 (mailed 29-June-2015)
VISA ISSUED...
11-Jul-2015
LANDED..........
7-Sep-2015
You don't have to. The mover will pick your goods and move it across the border into their warehouse. They will then send you the manifest which needs to be cleared with Customs before they release the goods to you.

You will need to take that manifest to any Customs office (there is one near Toronto airport) and get it cleared. If you have a goods to follow form, no duties and they stamp the manifest for release. Else, you will need to pay duty for the release stamp.

Your mover will release the goods to you once you send them the manifest stamped by Customs.

Reactions: Tubsmagee

mugs60

Aug 26, 2016
You don't have to. The mover will pick your goods and move it across the border into their warehouse. They will then send you the manifest which needs to be cleared with Customs before they release the goods to you.

You will need to take that manifest to any Customs office (there is one near Toronto airport) and get it cleared. If you have a goods to follow form, no duties and they stamp the manifest for release. Else, you will need to pay duty for the release stamp.

Your mover will release the goods to you once you send them the manifest stamped by Customs.
Thanks very much for responding. I live only about 20 min from the border in Fort Erie Ont so depending on where the truck enters sounds like the process won't be too difficult. (I hope).

ravichs473

Dec 6, 2018
Hi guys. Can someone please answer my questions. I’m planning to relocate to Canada from USA and planning to move stuff myself on a U-Haul truck. If I do so, Can I clear customs on the same day and move the items to an apartment or storage unti? If not, how long will they hold, before clearing them?

Tubsmagee

Jul 2, 2016
Hi guys. Can someone please answer my questions. I’m planning to relocate to Canada from USA and planning to move stuff myself on a U-Haul truck. If I do so, Can I clear customs on the same day and move the items to an apartment or storage unti? If not, how long will they hold, before clearing them?
It has been a while since I landed but I cleared and was on my way in less than an hour or so. The only delay was my vehicle because I messed up exporting it. UHaul and everything else was not an issue.