+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving home

WINGSrGOLD

Oct 18, 2007
I was born a Canada and when I was 4 my parents decided to move to U.S. It is now 43 years later and my wife and I are contemplating the idea of moving north of the border. About 7 years ago my family and I took on U.S. citizenship. Since then my Father has passed. He was cremated and burried in Ontario. My Mother is 70 and has expressed the same wishes. I have not obtained a passport yet. If I understand what I read I still hold a Canadian citizenship even though I excepted the U.S. citizeship. Is this correct? I reside in the U.S. and need to get a passport to get across the border. I assume I have to get a passport from where I reside. Is this correct? I Also read alot about immigrating to Canada and did not find any info to point me in a direction on the process to be able to move home since I was born in Canada and hold a U.S. paper. All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your input.

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
You understood perfectly - Canada accepts and DOES NOT FROWN on dual citizenship.

However, when re-entering Canada to remain there permanently, you must show a Canadian passport.

The website below gives you all the information that you need to apply for your Canadian passport from within the U.S. You will need not only your birth certificate but all of the other passport application requirements as stipulated on the website.

Please pay attention to the passport photo requirements and how it can bungle up your passport application.

If I were you, I will use the U.S. passport to cross over to a Canadian City just to have a passport photo taken by a professional and reputable Canadian photographer and come back to the U.S. within a day or two. Then upon your return, you can apply for your Canadian passport at the Canadian government office located close to where you live in the U.S. - with the passport photos that have the exact specifications.

If I were you, but again, you are not me - when crossing the border, just let the Canadian border personnel know that you are visiting your mother's or father's family or cousins for only a brief while, a day or two - for a quick family meeting. You know within yourself that you intend to return to the U.S. and you do not want any border personnel to misinterprete your true intentions, and frustrate your efforts in getting the right photos.

Please do not ask me why - feel free to do as you wish though. Or, you might just find a photographer in the U.S., known to take Canadian passport photos correctly.

You can find all the information that you need including how to locate a Canadian government office close to where you live from this website:

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/usa/index.aspx?lang=e

Good Luck!

WINGSrGOLD said:
I was born a Canada and when I was 4 my parents decided to move to U.S. It is now 43 years later and my wife and I are contemplating the idea of moving north of the border. About 7 years ago my family and I took on U.S. citizenship. Since then my Father has passed. He was cremated and burried in Ontario. My Mother is 70 and has expressed the same wishes. I have not obtained a passport yet. If I understand what I read I still hold a Canadian citizenship even though I excepted the U.S. citizeship. Is this correct? I reside in the U.S. and need to get a passport to get across the border. I assume I have to get a passport from where I reside. Is this correct? I Also read alot about immigrating to Canada and did not find any info to point me in a direction on the process to be able to move home since I was born in Canada and hold a U.S. paper. All help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your input.

WINGSrGOLD

Oct 18, 2007
Thank you very much for the the reply. I have relatives still residing in my home town of Wallaceburg, Ont. so not a problem in visits. I wasn not sure if getting a U.S. passport would hinder my move home. Again thank you, and I will go to the web site immediatly.

Libra

Jun 8, 2007
Hi,

Pay attention to the wording of the second sentence in my first post, which says:

"However, when re-entering Canada to remain there permanently, you must show a Canadian passport."

In other words, when you decide to move home permenently, you will need your Canadian passport, which will erase all questions from Customs Officer on the lines of "The reason and purpose of your visit."

In the meantime, without a Canadian passport, you can always use your U.S. passport, which has the added advantage of a visa waiver, but you will still be asked, "What's the purpose of your visit, please?"

Once you finally get your Canadian passport successfully from within the U.S., you can then use your Canadian passport to enter Canada, and all the Customs officer will say to you is, "Welcome home! Hope you had a nice time abroad :)"

However, when returning back to the U.S. on visits, YOU MUST SHOW YOUR U.S. passport, and the U.S. Customs Officer will say smilingly, "Welcome home! Hope you had a nice time abroad ;-)"

With your dual citizenship, all you need to show at the border of each of these two countries, is the passport that you hold for that respective country; there will be NO MORE questions along the lines of "What's the purpose of your visit, please?"

CAUTION: Once you have Dual Citizenship, YOU MUST ALWAYS SHOW THE PASSPORT THAT YOU HOLD FOR THAT COUNTRY TO ENTER THE COUNTRY - YOU CANNOT INTERCHANGE THEM.

This means: With Dual Citizenship, you can use your U.S. passport to come to U.S. for Thanksgiving, and then when you want to come over to the U.S. for the December Holidays, you CANNOT use your Canadian passport - this is a NO, NO - you must consistently use your U.S. passport to enter the U.S. at all times.

Likewise, you can use your Canadian Passport to return to Canada for the Toronto Festival, and then let's say upon your return to Canada for the Easter Holidays, you CANNOT use your U.S. passport - this is also a NO, NO - you must consistently use your Canadian passport to enter Canada at all times.

In the meantime, without dual citizenship, you can always use your U.S. passport to enter Canada.

WINGSrGOLD said:
Thank you very much for the the reply. I have relatives still residing in my home town of Wallaceburg, Ont. so not a problem in visits. I wasn not sure if getting a U.S. passport would hinder my move home. Again thank you, and I will go to the web site immediatly.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Libra said:
Hi,

Pay attention to the wording of the second sentence in my first post, which says:

"However, when re-entering Canada to remain there permanently, you must show a Canadian passport."

In other words, when you decide to move home permenently, you will need your Canadian passport, which will erase all questions from Customs Officer on the lines of "The reason and purpose of your visit."

In the meantime, without a Canadian passport, you can always use your U.S. passport, which has the added advantage of a visa waiver, but you will still be asked, "What's the purpose of your visit, please?"

Once you finally get your Canadian passport successfully from within the U.S., you can then use your Canadian passport to enter Canada, and all the Customs officer will say to you is, "Welcome home! Hope you had a nice time abroad :)"

However, when returning back to the U.S. on visits, YOU MUST SHOW YOUR U.S. passport, and the U.S. Customs Officer will say smilingly, "Welcome home! Hope you had a nice time abroad ;-)"

With your dual citizenship, all you need to show at the border of each of these two countries, is the passport that you hold for that respective country; there will be NO MORE questions along the lines of "What's the purpose of your visit, please?"

CAUTION: Once you have Dual Citizenship, YOU MUST ALWAYS SHOW THE PASSPORT THAT YOU HOLD FOR THAT COUNTRY TO ENTER THE COUNTRY - YOU CANNOT INTERCHANGE THEM.

This means: With Dual Citizenship, you can use your U.S. passport to come to U.S. for Thanksgiving, and then when you want to come over to the U.S. for the December Holidays, you CANNOT use your Canadian passport - this is a NO, NO - you must consistently use your U.S. passport to enter the U.S. at all times.

Likewise, you can use your Canadian Passport to return to Canada for the Toronto Festival, and then let's say upon your return to Canada for the Easter Holidays, you CANNOT use your U.S. passport - this is also a NO, NO - you must consistently use your Canadian passport to enter Canada at all times.

In the meantime, without dual citizenship, you can always use your U.S. passport to enter Canada.

WINGSrGOLD said:
One addition, you mention your spouse, if she is not a Canadian citizen, you will have to submit a sponsorship for her. read: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

PMM

WINGSrGOLD

Oct 18, 2007
Yes she is U.S. citizen. Before this all takes place we have to get some personal things in order. I have to admit I just started investigating what some of the processes are. How early can I start the sponsorship process? So that we would be able to make the move together. We have been married 26 years. I don't want us to be stuck in one of those long distances deals. I am sure I will have some other questions and hope you don't mind to much I know you probably get a lot of repeat questions.
I have to say I don't know how the lot of us would ever get any where with out all of you out ther answering our questions. I cannot even begin to imagine the time you all put into what you do here. I send all of you a very warm and heart felt thank you. Robert