+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from US to Canada

Meimei99

May 8, 2019
hello, I am Chinese holding L1 visa working in US, just got the Canada PR recently through family sponsor, am planning to drive my company leasing car to Ottawa for landing through the thousand island bridge on this Sat, I have a few questions hope someone can help.

1- is the CBSA office working on Saturday? 24*7 ?

2- I will return to US with on my company leasing car, no intention to import the car into Canada, what document do I need to present to the CBSA?

3- I will have to return to US in 1 week time before I receive my PR card, can I come back to Canada in same way through the Thousand island bridge border on the company leasing car without PR card? Is CoPR enough to show my status and they will let me in?

4- anyone has an example of filled BSF186 and 186A form to share? I would like to know how detailed in need to input my list.

Thanks!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
hello, I am Chinese holding L1 visa working in US, just got the Canada PR recently through family sponsor, am planning to drive my company leasing car to Ottawa for landing through the thousand island bridge on this Sat, I have a few questions hope someone can help.

2- I will return to US with on my company leasing car, no intention to import the car into Canada, what document do I need to present to the CBSA?

3- I will have to return to US in 1 week time before I receive my PR card, can I come back to Canada in same way through the Thousand island bridge border on the company leasing car without PR card? Is CoPR enough to show my status and they will let me in?

4- anyone has an example of filled BSF186 and 186A form to share? I would like to know how detailed in need to input my list.

Thanks!
1. If you are landing from another country, it works 24/7. If you are currently in Canada on a work permit and want to flagpole, there are defined hours. In your case you can land anytime.

2.I don't think you need to show any document if you're going to be returning in a week. Carry the usual lease and registration documents, and tell the officer you are leaving in a week if they ask.

3. Yes, but at some point they may ask about the car if you say you're moving for good. If you're doing short trips it should be ok.

4. You don't need to fill the form yourself. You should create a list of goods to follow and the CBSA officer will fill the form and attach it to the list. Search the forum for "list of goods to follow" to get many examples of how to create this list.

Reactions: Meimei99

Meimei99

May 8, 2019
I actually have another question. I have a ten year multi entry temp visitor visa on my passport, and now I got the one time immigrant visa, can I choose to use my visitor visa without landing and do landing next time ?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I actually have another question. I have a ten year multi entry temp visitor visa on my passport, and now I got the one time immigrant visa, can I choose to use my visitor visa without landing and do landing next time ?
If your visa is still valid, then yes, you can. However, you have to land before your CoPR expires, and once you land your visitor visa will be invalid since a Permanent Resident doesn't need a visa.

But why are you coming to Canada if not to land? As in, you can't apply for a PR card or do your goods to follow or anything like that without landing. Of course if you're just coming to visit family or something it may be an option.

Meimei99

May 8, 2019
Thanks for the reply! I come back and forth very frequent, am still working in US and my husband in Canada, I don’t have enough time to prepare for my goods list so thought I could land when I am ready. But anyway, you are right, I can land first.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thanks for the reply! I come back and forth very frequent, am still working in US and my husband in Canada, I don’t have enough time to prepare for my goods list so thought I could land when I am ready. But anyway, you are right, I can land first.
It's also possible to land first and then do the list of goods to follow when you finally move for good. People on the forum have done that successfully, search and see.

Meimei99

May 8, 2019
Thank you, I will try to get the goods list as complete as possible in one-go.

Regarding the overseas fund transferring to Canada in the future, do we need to provide the information in landing or we should declare that later? Thanks.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Thank you, I will try to get the goods list as complete as possible in one-go.

Regarding the overseas fund transferring to Canada in the future, do we need to provide the information in landing or we should declare that later? Thanks.
You don't need to mention this. You only need to declare this at the border if you are actually carrying more than CAD 10,000 with you (can be cash, draft, bonds etc). If you are just doing a bank transfer from a US account to a Canadian account, CBSA doesn't ask or care about that.

Meimei99

May 8, 2019
Great thanks! I have landed yesterday, few more questions
1-it is a short landing for me this time I will go back to US in a week and then come back, in the border immigration they didn’t take my husband’s address in Canada for PR card, can I update the address online now?
2- when the PR card mail to my address, if I am not home, can my husband receive it on behalf of me?
3- Now I have my COPR paper attached to my passport, do I always need to keep it or I can remove later when I receive my PR card?

4- For me to travel out of Canada through flight, can I travel with my passport only without showing my PR card? And come back with my PR card.

5- Do I need PR card to apply for SIN and OHIP or I can use my CoPR paper?

Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
1)https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/change-address.html
2)No issue as card would just be mailed to you at that address, you do not have to be there
3)You do not need to keep it with your passport once you have your PR card but should keep it safe as you will need as and when you decide to apply for citizenship
4)No requirement to show a PR card going out of Canada only a passport. Coming back both passport and PR card.
5)COPR should be fine to get a SIn straight away although for OHIP you need to meet the residency requirement

Last edited:

Meimei99

May 8, 2019
1. If you are landing from another country, it works 24/7. If you are currently in Canada on a work permit and want to flagpole, there are defined hours. In your case you can land anytime.

2.I don't think you need to show any document if you're going to be returning in a week. Carry the usual lease and registration documents, and tell the officer you are leaving in a week if they ask.

3. Yes, but at some point they may ask about the car if you say you're moving for good. If you're doing short trips it should be ok.

4. You don't need to fill the form yourself. You should create a list of goods to follow and the CBSA officer will fill the form and attach it to the list. Search the forum for "list of goods to follow" to get many examples of how to create this list.

Thanks!
Hello, regarding question 4, when I landed, the customs official stamped on my goods to follow list, do I have to move my goods in one-go or I can do it in several batches? Tks.