+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from US to canada

neet13

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello All,

I have filed assylum in US but I want to move to Canada. What are my options to move to Canada? Basically I am from India.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What happened to your student visa? I also see that you applied for PR. It is quite rare for Indian nationals to be granted asylum. Also doesn't look great that you have been trying to come to Canada via various other means for the past 4 years. Do you habe proof of persecution like police records, hospital records? Have yoy tried moving to differnent areas in India? They want to see that you have exhausted all ways to live in your home country.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello All,

I have filed assylum in US but I want to move to Canada. What are my options to move to Canada? Basically I am from India.
You would need to qualify and apply for PR through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry or one of the Provincial Nominee Programs.

neet13

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What happened to your student visa? I also see that you applied for PR. It is quite rare for Indian nationals to be granted asylum. Also doesn't look great that you have been trying to come to Canada via various other means for the past 4 years. Do you habe proof of persecution like police records, hospital records? Have yoy tried moving to differnent areas in India? They want to see that you have exhausted all ways to live in your home country.

Hello
Actually the student visa and pr was for myself. This post is for my brother who is in US. I am in canada as a permanent resident. I want my brother to move from US to canada. And I am wondering what are the best options for him here in Canada. I know that its very rare to get asylum for Indian nationals. Can you please advise.

neet13

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You would need to qualify and apply for PR through an economic immigration stream like Express Entry or one of the Provincial Nominee Programs.
Hello
After filing an assylum in US, is it possible that he can move to canada through Provincial Nominee Programs?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes he can apply through any of the economic immigration pathways. He also could have also applied from India.

neet13

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes he can apply through any of the economic immigration pathways. He also could have also applied from India.
Actually he dint had that many points for express entry.
But now I can try to get him a job letter so he can apply through a nominee.
I consulted a lawyer here and he said that he can come to canada through safe third country agreement and file assylum here but the chances of assylum are low as per india nantionals. Or the last option is getting married to pr or citizen of canada.
But he never gave me the option of express entry or pnp. So I wasnt sure about it.

neet13

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Pls help me if you have any extra information so that it will help me to pursue with my brothers case.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Actually he dint had that many points for express entry.
But now I can try to get him a job letter so he can apply through a nominee.
I consulted a lawyer here and he said that he can come to canada through safe third country agreement and file assylum here but the chances of assylum are low as per india nantionals. Or the last option is getting married to pr or citizen of canada.
But he never gave me the option of express entry or pnp. So I wasnt sure about it.
Does he have family in Canada? I would personally not recommend the asylum path since the chances of approval for an Indian national are so low.

Getting married to a Canadian PR or citizen is only an option if the relationship is genuine and has been ongoing for a while. If it's a relationship of convenience he's going to end up with even bigger problems than he has now.

PNP is certainly an option if he qualifies.

neet13

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does he have family in Canada? I would personally not recommend the asylum path since the chances of approval for an Indian national are so low.

Getting married to a Canadian PR or citizen is only an option if the relationship is genuine and has been ongoing for a while. If it's a relationship of convenience he's going to end up with even bigger problems than he has now.

Yes I am his sister and even my parents are here in Canada. No lawyer was saying about a genuine marriage not a fake obe. If we can find him a suitable match.

neet13

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

If he qualifies for PNP, Canadian govt wouldnt raise a question about his refugee claim in USA?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
His application may get some additional scrutiny that's probably it. As long as he is honest about his asylum application.

neet13

Star Member
Aug 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
His application may get some additional scrutiny that's probably it. As long as he is honest about his asylum application.
So if he gets pnp. Will he able to come to Canada on pnp work permit or he has to wait until his pr?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So if he gets pnp. Will he able to come to Canada on pnp work permit or he has to wait until his pr?
Assume he'll have to wait until he has PR. Also note that if he abandons his refugee claim in the US he may end up with a ban from re-entering the US.