+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from US to Canada with newborn and new stuff.

SaraRahul

Jun 15, 2019
Hi All,
My husband and I are planning to move to Canada by mid of this year. We did a soft landing in June 2020 and returned to US after quarantine. Now as we plan for our permanent move I have the below questions:
1) When we landed for the first time we got our GTF stamped which has some gold jewels and silver items as well in the list. Now when we move permanently, is it ok if we if carry those jewels along with us in check-in luggage (if we go by flight) or along with us in the car (if we cross the border by land) since we are not comfortable in sending those items in UHaul separately.
2) I have plants like succulents, jade pothos and crotons.( No other vegetable or fruit yielding plants). I did some research on this and it stated if the plants are from USA then there is no need for any certificate / approvals for border crossing and up to 50 plants are allowed but the owner should be present when the plants cross the border. Now, we plan to send the plants via UHaul and we would take flight. So is it necessary for the owner to be available? Has anyone transported plants from US to Canada?
3) Would love to know insights or experience in transferring items (kitchen stuff, clothing, musical instruments, home deco items, dog bed and toys) in truck? which company would be best?
4) Is it enough to give the copy of GTF list to the transport company ?
5) We also have a pet dog who is one yr old. Are there any other requirements other than her vaccine records?
6) When we did soft landing we had lots of household items which we mentioned on the GTF list but now recently we sold many items. Is it ok to still present the old stamped GTF when they cross the border? No additional or new items where purchased.

Thanks in advance for your replies :) :)

aneeram

Sep 11, 2019
Hello,

I am in a situation where I am confused about giving birth to my baby in Canada or USA
Me and my husband both are Canadian PR's and have Non Immigrant status in USA, Right now we are in Canada working on our citizenship and expecting the baby in July. I will be eligible for my Citizenship in July 2022 in an year from now and my husband will be eligible in July 2023
Our parent's doesn't have Canada visa and as a result we are thinking of going to USA for delivery since we have our siblings there to assist us.
My question is If baby is born in USA, can I apply for his Citizenship along with my citizenship application next July 2022? Will he become Canadian citizen then?
Or do I have to wait for the baby to finish 1095 days in Canada like a regular applicant, I just want to know what are his options to become a Canadian citizen?
Any kind of suggestion would be really appreciated

Thanks

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
Hello,

I am in a situation where I am confused about giving birth to my baby in Canada or USA
Me and my husband both are Canadian PR's and have Non Immigrant status in USA, Right now we are in Canada working on our citizenship and expecting the baby in July. I will be eligible for my Citizenship in July 2022 in an year from now and my husband will be eligible in July 2023
Our parent's doesn't have Canada visa and as a result we are thinking of going to USA for delivery since we have our siblings there to assist us.
My question is If baby is born in USA, can I apply for his Citizenship along with my citizenship application next July 2022? Will he become Canadian citizen then?
Or do I have to wait for the baby to finish 1095 days in Canada like a regular applicant, I just want to know what are his options to become a Canadian citizen?
Any kind of suggestion would be really appreciated

Thanks
If the baby is born in the US, then first you will have to sponsor them for Canadian PR. Then after they complete their own 3 years of stay in Canada, then you can apply for the child to have Canadian citizenship. Also while the child's PR application is being processed, they will not have provincial health insurance.

It is not very hard for your parents to get a Canadian Visa, why not opt for that? Especially if it is your intention to stay in Canada until you receive Citizenship, then it is better if your child is also born in Canada.

Gauravbrills

Star Member
Jan 20, 2018
Markham, ON
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
06-01-2018
I am also in a similar situation @Gauravbrills @bullmoose. I am thinking of moving in May or so. Talking with our employers now to check if they will allow us to work from Canada.

• AFAIK, if you have already landed as a PR, you cannot enter Canada on a work permit. You will enter again as PR until that PR is revoked or formally renounced. SIN has nothing to do with this. You will of course need to get a new SIN as a PR and report that one to your employer for tax purposes. There is absolutely no need to get a work permit, since PR gives you unrestricted work authorization.
  • We can only sponsor a child for PR after we move to Canada, it cannot be done from outside. But as a USC, the child can enter with us. If the PR sponsorship process takes longer than 6 months, then we will have to file for extension of stay for the child.
  • The child will not receive Provincial Health Insurance until they become PR + waiting period if any. So we need to buy private insurance for the child.
  • Then we will also have to figure out whether the employer has to handle payroll and pay Canadian taxes (employer's share) or not etc.
  • As for duty free move, if you submitted a 'goods to follow' list when you landed, you may be limited to that list. Otherwise, since this is the first time you are actually coming for 'settling', you can claim 'settler tariff' and pay no duty on anything.
  • Importing a vehicle is a long process, research about it on other threads on this forum.
@lampbreaker are you sure the child cant claim for Provincial health insurance on the basis of myself say OHIP.

Gauravbrills

Star Member
Jan 20, 2018
Markham, ON
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
06-01-2018
Yes if you are a PR your child doesn’t qualify for OHIP until they are a PR
Ohh Thanks then maybe have to apply for his pr as soon as I land . Are there any preconditions to applying for his PR or I can file as soon as I land there .

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Ohh Thanks then maybe have to apply for his pr as soon as I land . Are there any preconditions to applying for his PR or I can file as soon as I land there .
Only need to show that you can support your family without government support. You can update your file when you find a job if you don't have a job already. Proof of savings will also be acceptable proof.

Gauravbrills

Star Member
Jan 20, 2018
Markham, ON
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
06-01-2018
Only need to show that you can support your family without government support. You can update your file when you find a job if you don't have a job already. Proof of savings will also be acceptable proof.
Thanks @canuck78 If I may ask what did you meant saying update file . wanted to check if I can start the procedure for my son from USA atleast fill forms . I am relocating from my current job so will be having a job there . If you have some time can you point me at from where to apply for PR for Child maybe I can start the doc process .

sebastian1199

Apr 17, 2023
Moving to a new country can be exciting, but it also comes with many questions and concerns. I'll do my best to address some of the questions you've raised.

1. It should be okay to carry your gold and silver items with you when you move permanently to Canada. However, you should make sure to declare these items at the border and include them on your Goods and Services Tax (GST) declaration form. It's important to note that there may be limitations on the amount of jewelry and precious metals you can bring into the country duty-free, so you should check the Canadian government's guidelines on this.
  2. It's great that you've done research on transporting plants across the border. While it's true that you may not need a certificate or approval to bring certain types of plants into Canada from the US, it's important to note that there may be restrictions on transporting plants across provincial borders. You should also consider the temperature and other conditions that the plants will be exposed to during transport. It's best to check with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) for the most up-to-date information on transporting plants.
  3. There are many moving companies available, and it's important to choose one that you feel comfortable with and that has a good reputation. You should get quotes from multiple companies and ask for references from past customers. You may also want to consider factors such as insurance coverage and the company's policies on packing and loading your belongings.
  4. Providing a copy of your GST declaration form to the transport company should be sufficient for them to know what items are being transported. However, you should also make sure to keep a copy for yourself in case there are any issues at the border.
  5. In addition to vaccine records, there may be other requirements for bringing your pet dog into Canada. You should check the Canadian government's guidelines on importing pets to ensure that you have all the necessary documentation and that your dog meets any health and safety requirements.
  6. It's important to be truthful on your GST declaration form and to declare all items that you are bringing into Canada. If you have sold some items since your soft landing, you should update your GST declaration form to reflect this. If you are unsure about whether or not to include certain items, you can contact the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) for guidance.
Good luck with your move to Canada, and I hope this information helps!

Last edited by a moderator: