+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from US to Canada with newborn and new stuff.

Gauravbrills

Star Member
Jan 20, 2018
Markham, ON
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
06-01-2018
Hi ,

I have an PR and have had made an initial landing year back and have received my PR cards as well . Now I am planning to move back from US on a permanent bases to canada . Though since my first touchdown I have purchased a buck of stuff such as Car, Furniture ,new Tv's, have been blessed with a child.I wanted to know if I move now will I need to pay duty on all the new stuff I have bought specially the costly ones such as big furniture and car . also for my child will I have to start a separate process or as he is a US citizen he can do a no hassle first entry and I can start rest of the paperwork once I am in Canada.

If someone has had a similar experience please share on ways to move from US and how your journey went . Also anything I have to take care for my son who will be 1+years when we make our move . I currently reside in the Massachusetts area .

Thanks in advance .
- Gaurav :)

bullmoose

Apr 20, 2018
Hi Gaurav,

I am in a similar situation, me and my wife completed the landing back in Oct 2018 and this year we are moving to Canada in June/July for good (high time, it's either Canadian PR or US GC queue with EAD). We were also blessed with a baby in 2019. I'll be disposing lot of the stuff that was already in my approved list and have added new things which are not there, overall planning to move with as least we can. Along with the whole move, I am also trying to research regarding the duty for new household items I bought.

I will be taking my 2 cars from US to Canada, heard that process is lot of pain in the neck. Once reached there, need to start my daughter's PR process so she can get the medical card asap. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone and will try to update this thread with information I can gather. BTW, we live in Maryland.

Good luck,
Harprit

Reactions: Gauravbrills

Gauravbrills

Star Member
Jan 20, 2018
Markham, ON
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
06-01-2018
Hi Gaurav,

I am in a similar situation, me and my wife completed the landing back in Oct 2018 and this year we are moving to Canada in June/July for good (high time, it's either Canadian PR or US GC queue with EAD). We were also blessed with a baby in 2019. I'll be disposing lot of the stuff that was already in my approved list and have added new things which are not there, overall planning to move with as least we can. Along with the whole move, I am also trying to research regarding the duty for new household items I bought.

I will be taking my 2 cars from US to Canada, heard that process is lot of pain in the neck. Once reached there, need to start my daughter's PR process so she can get the medical card asap. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone and will try to update this thread with information I can gather. BTW, we live in Maryland.

Good luck,
Harprit
Thanks for your advice , the situation on your end looks exactly like me . Let me know if we can connect on WhatsApp (if you are comfortable DM me your number) .

Keep in touch :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your advice , the situation on your end looks exactly like me . Let me know if we can connect on WhatsApp (if you are comfortable DM me your number) .

Keep in touch :)
Do you own your car outright? No loans or financing? If not that will be an issue. You need to purchase emergency medical insurance for your child. Routine appointments can be paid out of pocket. Depending on tg
he province your child may only qualify for provibcual healthcare after PR and then you have to add wait periods (sone aee currently suspended).

Z86

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
If you are moving through an employer try to see if they can give you relocation assistance which will help with your house hold moving, 1 month of storage in canada, flight tickets, car import etc.

Gauravbrills

Star Member
Jan 20, 2018
Markham, ON
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
06-01-2018
If you are moving through an employer try to see if they can give you relocation assistance which will help with your house hold moving, 1 month of storage in canada, flight tickets, car import etc.
Thanks, One question on that I had if I move to Canada on a work permit having a PR will those days spent there count towards my PR status as I think my organization might transfer me as a traveler there initially .

Gauravbrills

Star Member
Jan 20, 2018
Markham, ON
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
06-01-2018
Do you own your car outright? No loans or financing? If not that will be an issue. You need to purchase emergency medical insurance for your child. Routine appointments can be paid out of pocket. Depending on tg
he province your child may only qualify for provibcual healthcare after PR and then you have to add wait periods (sone aee currently suspended).
Ya own the car outright .. yes was thinking to move on a workpermit which gives me med insurance . but only question was will that add to my PR ?

Z86

Star Member
Aug 10, 2019
Thanks, One question on that I had if I move to Canada on a work permit having a PR will those days spent there count towards my PR status as I think my organization might transfer me as a traveler there initially .
If you spend 1 year in work permit it will help with your PR as you can come under Canadian Experience Class.
Once you receive PR, 50% of your time spent in work permit will count as valid stay in Canada and will help in applying for citizenship.

Gauravbrills

Star Member
Jan 20, 2018
Markham, ON
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
06-01-2018
If you spend 1 year in work permit it will help with your PR as you can come under Canadian Experience Class.
Once you receive PR, 50% of your time spent in work permit will count as valid stay in Canada and will help in applying for citizenship.
I meant I already have a PR and work in a work permit ? dont know if that will count towards my PR .

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
I am also in a similar situation @Gauravbrills @bullmoose. I am thinking of moving in May or so. Talking with our employers now to check if they will allow us to work from Canada.

• AFAIK, if you have already landed as a PR, you cannot enter Canada on a work permit. You will enter again as PR until that PR is revoked or formally renounced. SIN has nothing to do with this. You will of course need to get a new SIN as a PR and report that one to your employer for tax purposes. There is absolutely no need to get a work permit, since PR gives you unrestricted work authorization.
  • We can only sponsor a child for PR after we move to Canada, it cannot be done from outside. But as a USC, the child can enter with us. If the PR sponsorship process takes longer than 6 months, then we will have to file for extension of stay for the child.
  • The child will not receive Provincial Health Insurance until they become PR + waiting period if any. So we need to buy private insurance for the child.
  • Then we will also have to figure out whether the employer has to handle payroll and pay Canadian taxes (employer's share) or not etc.
  • As for duty free move, if you submitted a 'goods to follow' list when you landed, you may be limited to that list. Otherwise, since this is the first time you are actually coming for 'settling', you can claim 'settler tariff' and pay no duty on anything.
  • Importing a vehicle is a long process, research about it on other threads on this forum.

red_rom

Star Member
Oct 12, 2017
Toronto
Yes, it would be counted if you already have a PR. I got an offer letter (transferred to Canada) from my firm and also had PR. Besides, I got some benefit as relocation bonus and advance salary when I landed. You wouldn't need a work permit, if you have a PR, no need to process any work permit. My company drafted an offer letter from their office in Canada and gave me before I landed here, that was sufficient.

techie12

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
How long will the PR process take for the child with a US passport and if both parents hold Canadian PR?
Also, any idea approximately how much would the emergency medical insurance and out of pocket doctor visit costs?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How long will the PR process take for the child with a US passport and if both parents hold Canadian PR?
Also, any idea approximately how much would the emergency medical insurance and out of pocket doctor visit costs?
5-11 months before covid. Assume delays due to covid. Doctors fees are not standard and will vary by doctor and type/reason for appointment. Fees are very reasonable to see a GP so I would not be too concerned. Many visits are under $100.

Reactions: techie12