+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from US to Canada Permanently

May 15, 2016
Hello,
Last year I did the soft landing and returned to the US. This year I am planning to relocate permanently to Ontario from South East US. Would you please review below queries and assist me. I have to move in a month.

1. Need a reliable and affordable long distance moving company. I live in a 4 Bed house and after downsize I will be having stuff for 3 bed. I won't able to downsize further as got a family of 4.

2. Last year when I did the landing I didn't mention any goods to follow . Does this mean I have to pay the duties for all the things I move ? Do we have an alternate option?

Thanks
TT

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Regarding #2. No. You don't need to pay duty if you haven't established residence in Canada. But you will need to prepare documentation for just in case you get some poorly trained CBSA agent who doesn't know that PR holders can get custom docs stamped until permanent move to Canada.

Send an email to CBSA-ASFC.CONTACT@cbsa-asfc.gc.ca explaining your situation. You will get a generic response with following text:

"A settler describes all who enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time and for a period of not less than 12 months. Persons entering Canada to become Permanent Residents without the intention of residing immediately in Canada are not considered Settlers to Canada since they do not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time. Therefore, under customs legislation, these persons are considered visitors to Canada, even if they are Permanent Residents for immigration purposes.

Before you settle in Canada, you must prepare two copies of a list, preferably typed, detailing all household and personal goods you are bringing into the country."

Keep a print out of reply from CBSA. Above text basically says for Customs you were visiting Canada at the time of Soft landing and were not settling ( establishing permanent residence) and you are still entitled to move your goods duty free as a settler under tariff item No. 9807.00.00

Also, carry print out of this document and highlight point 10 which says same as above text.
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Last edited: