+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from US To Canada - Movers

SlyFawkes

May 13, 2018
I moved from Boston, MA to the Niagara Region. I hired people to pack my truck in Boston, drove a U-Haul to my current apartment, and had family to help unpack (but would’ve hired people otherwise). I then drove my truck to Niagara Falls, NY (MUCH cheaper than dropping off at a Canadian U-Haul) and had a family member take me back to Ontario.
Relatively easy, much less costly overall than it could have been.

Reactions: Naggy

Naggy

May 17, 2017
I moved from Boston, MA to the Niagara Region. I hired people to pack my truck in Boston, drove a U-Haul to my current apartment, and had family to help unpack (but would’ve hired people otherwise). I then drove my truck to Niagara Falls, NY (MUCH cheaper than dropping off at a Canadian U-Haul) and had a family member take me back to Ontario.
Relatively easy, much less costly overall than it could have been.
Hey SlyFawkes,

This helps me a lot as i planning to do the same.

One question : Do we need to inform U-Haul that we would be crossing border and then reentering USA again to return the truck.

If i drop off truck in Ontario it would cost me 1300$ and if i drop in buffalo or Niagara falls it costs me only around 500$.

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks,
Naggy

SlyFawkes

May 13, 2018
Hey SlyFawkes,

This helps me a lot as i planning to do the same.

One question : Do we need to inform U-Haul that we would be crossing border and then reentering USA again to return the truck.

If i drop off truck in Ontario it would cost me 1300$ and if i drop in buffalo or Niagara falls it costs me only around 500$.

Awaiting your reply.

Thanks,
Naggy

I don’t quite recall how it went (it was over 2 years ago now) but I think I just specified the pickup and drop off locations and they didn’t ask any further.
When I used a U-Haul recently to move to a different place in Ontario, they did ask if we’d be travelling across the border. I think it just depends on the initial pickup location. Given that Boston is not in close proximity to the border (unlike the Niagara Region), I don’t think it’s habitual for them to check.
Good luck to you!

Yrai

Nov 13, 2019
I believe per tariff no. 9807.00.00, I don't have to fumigate the mattress :)
Hi, so did you end up moving your mattress without fumigating it or what is the update on this? I am moving to Toronto in Dec and I would like to take it with me if possible. Thank you!