+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving From the UK to Canada

UKcitizen2323

Sep 23, 2018
Hi!
I have recently finished my 2 years working holiday in Canada from the UK - During the last year of my working holiday I met my current girlfriend, we both want to be together however my visa ended and she is currently in school so can't return to the UK with me. I will soon be traveling back to Canada as a visitor in order to be with her, however, this isn't sustainable long-term as I won't be able to work and actually progress with my life. Her parents currently support her through paying for her rent and food and I will be living with her during my visit. Our plan was to get married in order for me to be able to stay but that doesn't seem as though it would be much help due to her not being able to financially support me due to being in school. I plan to eventually study in Canada, however, I can't currently afford international tuition and can't save up for school while on a visitor visa due to not being able to work. Is there any way I can reapply for a working holiday or be working while on my eTA (UK citizens don't require a visitor visa, just an eTA). My plan was originally to come home to the UK in order to save for school and return as a student once I could afford it, however, we couldn't stand being apart that long as it would take multiple years to afford tuition.
- Is there a way we would be able to achieve PR through spousal sponsorship if we were to marry?
- Is there any way I could work during my stay in Canada by somehow transferring my eTA into a working permit?
- Are there any types of loans that are available to UK citizens in order to fund international study?

Thanks for any help in advance!

UKcitizen2323

Sep 23, 2018
Would you be contemplating undergraduate or graduate studies?
I would be interested in studying an undergrad initially - I've looked into various courses that Canada offers, I wanted to find a cheap course I could save up for fast in order to return and be with my partner.

BertlCamus

Star Member
Sep 26, 2017
Sorry, I can't be of much help in that case but I am sure there is something and others may know better. May also be worth looking into exchange programs for her to come to UK, or vice versa.

BertlCamus

Star Member
Sep 26, 2017
Sorry, I can't be of much help in that case but I am sure there is something and others may know better. May also be worth looking into exchange programs for her to come to UK, or vice versa.
For example: https://www.isepstudyabroad.org/ that's what I did many years ago. Awesome program! I am not 100% sure if you can do UK-CAN with this one, but there are similar programs like it out there. The downside is that it is not a quick and easy solution, but I find with immigration it rarely is.

Last edited:

EstherBarros

Aug 18, 2014
BC- Canada
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Doc's Request.
02-07-2015
AOR Received.
03-02-2015
File Transfer...
14-02-2015
Med's Done....
23-09-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-08-2015
VISA ISSUED...
19-08-2015
LANDED..........
22-08-2015
Theoretically, there are no financial requirements in a spousal sponsorship. You do have to outline how you will support yourselves, and send proof, but if she's not on disability or anything like that, she should be able to sponsor you once you get married.

Both of you can send proof of funds by showing savings accounts, any sort of income, or even say that you will be staying rent free with her family while she looks for a job.

If you come to Canada and get married in Canada, you can apply in land and will qualify for an Open Work Permit (which will take some months to process).

Here is the information from the Website directly (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5525-basic-guide-sponsor-your-spouse-partner-child.html):

Who can become a sponsor
You can become a sponsor if you are:

• at least 18 years old
  • a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident living in Canada:
    • If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative(s) become(s) a permanent resident.
    • You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada.
  • able to prove that you are not receiving social assistance for reasons other than a disability, and;
  • can provide for the basic needs of any person you are sponsoring (and in some limited situations, that you meet the low-income cut-off).
Note: There is no low income cut-off (LICO) for spouse, partner or dependent child sponsorships, unless a dependent child also has one or more dependent children of their own. If a dependent child you are sponsoring has one or more dependent children of their own, you must include a Financial Evaluation (IMM 1283) form with your application (see your checklist for more details).

Read more about eligibility requirements in the Complete Guide.

Reactions: Will_PA

Will_PA

Sep 3, 2017
Also did you live together for a year while you were in Canada? You might qualify as common law already, if she's willing to sponsor you. As previous poster says there's no income requirement to sponsor a spouse (sponsor means that they'll vouch for you to not be a drain on the state). A letter of plan of action as to how you'll survive is all that would be required. Along the lines of "live off savings for 4 months until owp issued". Good luck!