+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from Pakistan - Items to bring

khan3434

Nov 4, 2017
Hi, I am moving to Canada in June 2019,i am using blood cancer medicine, these are not very expensive, can anyone advice, how much i will ring with me from my home country.

Regards

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am moving to Canada in June 2019,i am using blood cancer medicine, these are not very expensive, can anyone advice, how much i will ring with me from my home country.

Regards
Did you report the blood cancer as a change in your health condition. This is a requirement before landing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, 90 days medicine is by law or you estimate?
Law. Simple google search would have provided the answer. Lying about changes in your medical condition, especially that would raise you over the medical inadmissibility threshold, is misrepresentation. Your landing documents indicate that you need to inform CIC about any changes in family composition and health. If you are discovered this could lead to problems later on.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Some blood cancer medicines can be very expensive, for example Ibrutinib / Imbruvica used to cost approx 100 dollars a pill, 3 pills a day so annually well in excess of the threshold. Having said there are many different blood cancers and medicines so depends but if is a change in condition should be mentioned else will cause issues both with PR status as misrepresentation and possibly future treatment . Plus just because a medicine might be cheap in Pakistan or any other country does not necessarily mean same in North America.

Last edited:

ibtee

Aug 26, 2018
Calgary
Law. Simple google search would have provided the answer. Lying about changes in your medical condition, especially that would raise you over the medical inadmissibility threshold, is misrepresentation. Your landing documents indicate that you need to inform CIC about any changes in family composition and health. If you are discovered this could lead to problems later on.

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/health-safety/medication
Hi Canuck78,

I have a related query. What about parents coming over on visitor visa. I know that the sponsor (e.g. son) will be responsible for all non-emergency medical expenses. However, since a parent will only be allowed to bring in 90 days of medication; how does the parent continue taking medication for the remaining 90 days after the initial 90 day medicines run out? Is there a way to
> Get approval for 6 months worth of medication before visitor arrives?
> Get the prescription from parent's doctor pre-approved from Canadian medical authorities so it's easier to get medicines from local pharmacy

As far as I can understand, the parent will have to visit a doctor and get similar medicines prescribed for the remaining days even though this option doesn't seem easy. The parent for whom I raise the query does not have any severe health issues but needs some medicines on a regular basis to keep her bp etc in check. Furthermore, for parents who are coming over with such medical needs, does it make any difference to ponder over different insurances to find out if any offer subsidized health clinic visits and if the answer is no, do the insurances offer better covers if the visitor is on a super visa instead of the regular visitor visa?