+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from Outland to Inland - Common Law - 2020

MSVM

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Thank you so much for your response!

But the link that you provided is related to citizenship application and not the sponsorship one:

"This section provides guidance on the following:

• the policy regarding the withdrawal of applications for a grant, proof, resumption, or renunciation of citizenship"

MSVM

Star Member
Sep 21, 2019
Yes, it's a perfectly fine reason.
Hello Canuck_In_UK!

Thanks to your advice and a lots and lots of patience we had some progress in our case ;-)

Thank you so much for time an efforts that you are putting into helping people on this forum!!!!

1. First of all we got Visitor Record until 01 August 2021 (that was an unbelievable relief since we asked for extension of stay only until January 31, 2021 )
2. Second, my partner got Additional Document request, New Medical request (as her first one expired back in October 2020) and Pre-Arrival services letter.

Most of the requested documents we will easily provide BUT there is one that I am not sure how to deal with:
my common law partner was asked to provide Divorce Certificate for my ex-wife with who I was Legally Separated but not yet Divorced or provide letter of explanation.

My facts are the following:
1. I was legally separated from my ex-wife back in 2013
2. I retained the family lawyer and he send a legal letter to my ex-wife that I am separating from her and it was "served" to her
3. We had several meetings with my lawyer and he is drafting separation agreement and I am collecting documents for financial statements to file for divorce
4. I filed taxes with separated status for several years before going into common law relationship (and I believe that my ex-wife did the same)
5. I have a child with my common law partner together

The question is what shall be included in letter of explanation?

1. Reasons why divorce has not happened yet? Like: I was leaving abroad for several years, I had several surgeries that took a lot of time/money to recover, I was unemployed for some time, COVID-19 lockdowns including courts ...
2. Or shall I just show how much progress was made towards divorce and state that it is inevitable?
3. Shall I write both?

Your advice will be greatly appreciated!