+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from Michigan to Windsor,ON: Moving/Settlement/Commute tips

Ninisha

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
Hi,

Good day! I got my PR card and I am looking to move to Windsor ON in January/February 2019. I will be working in Detroit, Michigan and commuting everyday. I would like some tips from experienced persons regarding the commute and apartment locations in Windsor. I have a few questions about this:

1.) What are some good apartment locations considering I would be crossing borders everyday? How easy is it to find an apartment? Would they accept US based employment/bank statements as proof for apartment rentals? Would apartments come with parking?
2.) Did anyone use u-haul to move stuff across the border?
3.) Is it better to commute by car or use the bus?
4.) Any one who has moved to Windsor from USA in the recent past, please could you share your experiences and tips.

Thanks in advance

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Hi,

Good day! I got my PR card and I am looking to move to Windsor ON in January/February 2019. I will be working in Detroit, Michigan and commuting everyday. I would like some tips from experienced persons regarding the commute and apartment locations in Windsor. I have a few questions about this:

1.) What are some good apartment locations considering I would be crossing borders everyday? How easy is it to find an apartment? Would they accept US based employment/bank statements as proof for apartment rentals? Would apartments come with parking?
2.) Did anyone use u-haul to move stuff across the border?
3.) Is it better to commute by car or use the bus?
4.) Any one who has moved to Windsor from USA in the recent past, please could you share your experiences and tips.

Thanks in advance
Hi
I moved from Michigan to Windsor a couple months ago, and commute almost daily to work in the US. I'll share my experience hope it helps.

1. I would consider Walkerville, nice area and not too far from the tunnel. My landlord accepted my US bank statements and credit report as I didn't have Canadian ones. Most apartments come with parking.

2. I used a uhaul van to move stuff through the tunnel without issues.

3. Depends. If you'll be working downtown Detroit and living downtown Windsor then it might be feasible to take the tunnel bus. Keep in mind you have to wait for everyone on the bus to get through customs. It's $5 or 5CAD one way ride.

4. Once you settle apply for NEXUS, it does come in handy most times. Also if using the tunnel apply for Nexpress, the toll program.
- some items like groceries tend to be expensive in Canada so you might want to shop in the US with wider variety.

Ninisha

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
Hi
I moved from Michigan to Windsor a couple months ago, and commute almost daily to work in the US. I'll share my experience hope it helps.

1. I would consider Walkerville, nice area and not too far from the tunnel. My landlord accepted my US bank statements and credit report as I didn't have Canadian ones. Most apartments come with parking.

3. Depends. If you'll be working downtown Detroit and living downtown Windsor then it might be feasible to take the tunnel bus. Keep in mind you have to wait for everyone on the bus to get through customs. It's $5 or 5CAD one way ride.

4. Once you settle apply for NEXUS, it does come in handy most times. Also if using the tunnel apply for Nexpress, the toll program.
- some items like groceries tend to be expensive in Canada so you might want to shop in the US with wider variety.
Thanks @VOBuckeye for your reply. This is really helpful

1.) When you moved using u-haul, did they inspect all the things at the border?
2.) Do they check the car every time while crossing the border for work?

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017
Thanks @VOBuckeye for your reply. This is really helpful

1.) When you moved using u-haul, did they inspect all the things at the border?
2.) Do they check the car every time while crossing the border for work?
1. The officers who processed me did not check my belongings. They just asked me what I had and I showed them my goods to follow list.

2. No, they do not check the car everytime you cross over unless you're sent to secondary inspection. Once in a while you'll see an officer check the trunks in his lane, but very rare.

Reactions: Ninisha

Ninisha

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
1. The officers who processed me did not check my belongings. They just asked me what I had and I showed them my goods to follow list.

2. No, they do not check the car everytime you cross over unless you're sent to secondary inspection. Once in a while you'll see an officer check the trunks in his lane, but very rare.
Thank you very much

Reactions: VOBuckeye

Hopeful-Chy

Nov 10, 2017
Hi

@VOBuckeye and @Ninisha...
if you dont mind.... how do you get job in USA with canadian PR.
i moved from USA 2months ago to Canada as PR.... still no job.
I was thinking of applying for jobs in USA but they said you need USA work permit. Is it possible for me to get a job in USA? please let me hear from you because am getging fraustrated here.

Thanks

Ninisha

Star Member
Dec 18, 2017
I was thinking of applying for jobs in USA but they said you need USA work permit. Is it possible for me to get a job in USA? please let me hear from you because am getging fraustrated here.

Thanks
Hi Hopeful-Chy,

I am working in USA on H1B visa and will stay in Canada and work in USA using that. You have to find an employer or job who sponsors your H1B visa. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

VOBuckeye

Mar 10, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
24-09-2016
AOR Received.
12-21-2016
Passport Req..
15-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
30-03-2017
LANDED..........
16-10-2017

Thanks
Hi
I was lucky to get H1B that enabled me to work in US

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi

Agree with 2, 3, 4.

- I had I problem with U-Haul because of height, 26' had 12' clearance and was not allowed to tunnel, had to turn around ( a lot of "fun") and go to bridge. No check of truck at all, we could bring an elephant. Two cars were in the list of goods to follow. One already exported/imported and Ontario plated. I am using another (US plated/insured) one to commute to work in US.
- Nexus/Nexpress card is fine, still delays 10-15 minutes.
- Almost every day bring groceries from States and always declare them at the border. Once had secondary inspection on Sunday. Once a week bring some beer/vine/etc., but again always declare... The risk to be flagged is too high.

Last edited:

anil1201

Jul 29, 2014
Hi Bro,
I desperately in need of some suggestions, I am planning to get an apartment in Windsor and to my surprise, it is not what I was expecting.

It would be great if you can help with some suggestions, where can I find a good neighbourhood apartments while close to border.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
Hi Bro,
I desperately in need of some suggestions, I am planning to get an apartment in Windsor and to my surprise, it is not what I was expecting.

It would be great if you can help with some suggestions, where can I find a good neighbourhood apartments while close to border.
I cannot help with an apartment search, we bought a house and ended all these rental problems. We like it here in East Riverside, just 7-8 miles from the border. A lot of construction near Little River Corridor. As I said it's East Riverside - East Windsor on the border with desirable Tecumseh. Personally I would stay away from "old" Windsor, close to tunnel.

Last edited: