+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving for an Expat job during Spousal Sponsorship Process

arekieh

Apr 21, 2019
Hi all,

I am a canadian born citizen currently in the process of sponsoring my wife (outland), application was submitted just over a month ago. I have recently been approached about taking an expat job outside of Canada. I am wondering what if any implications this would have on the sponsorship application.

Is this something I need to inform the CIC about before it happens? Is this a red flag? How does the PR process for her work if I go through with this and subsequent citizenship process?

Thank you

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You can only sponsor a spouse if you reside in Canada or have plans to return to Canada once she gets her PR.

If you take this job, how long will you be outside Canada?

arekieh

Apr 21, 2019
Yeah, it would be a fixed term expat job for 3-4 years. I would ultimately be planning on returning to Canada.

The main drivers to move are, being together immediately, the experience would be great for my future career path, and the pay is attractive .

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi all,

I am a canadian born citizen currently in the process of sponsoring my wife (outland), application was submitted just over a month ago. I have recently been approached about taking an expat job outside of Canada. I am wondering what if any implications this would have on the sponsorship application.

Is this something I need to inform the CIC about before it happens? Is this a red flag? How does the PR process for her work if I go through with this and subsequent citizenship process?

Thank you
Yes, you need to inform IRCC if you move outside of Canada. They would then request proof that you intend to return to Canada as soon as your wife's application is processed. As you don't plan to move for 3-4 years, the app would then be refused.

Decide now if this job is worth it. If it is, withdraw the app and you should be in time to get the $475 applicant fee refunded, along with the RPRF.