+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving back to Canada with my American Spouse: Questions about the process?

Decoy24601

Champion Member
Aug 13, 2015
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-04-2016
AOR Received.
28-04-2016
File Transfer...
SA 27-05-2016
Med's Done....
23-03-2016 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
07-06-2016
LANDED..........
06-07-2016
MelissaJohn said:
6.) You can call the CRA hotline, it is a robot, of course, it will take you through a number of options, you request your "Option C Printout/Notice of assessment"
they will ask for your birth date and social insurance number you enter it and it will ship it to you.
Now if you want it shipped outside of Canada I think you have to talk to someone. BUT Where the application says you need and original option c printout
it CAN be a photocopy, I called CIC they said it was ok, and I have been accepted as a sponsor. I had it mailed to my parent's house where they scanned and emailed
it to me, I printed it and added it to my application. It only takes a short time to arrive in Canada, but to have it shipped outside takes weeks!
The Option C Printout is no longer the requirement. The checklist now asks for the Notice of Assessment that you can print out from your CRA account. They'll still accept the one received in the mail, but it's no longer necessary.

xCami

Star Member
Nov 2, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016
MelissaJohn said:
1.) As long as you are not on welfare, or declared bankruptcy before you should be fine. I am sure there is no minimum requirement for married couples, it's more for common law partners.

2.) You have to move to Canada before his visa expires, there is no extension allowed on the visa I believe. But you are allowed to travel back to the U.S.A if need be.

3.) A letter from your mother stating she will let you live with her until you re-establish yourselves is good, some people say to get it notarized but I didn't, I just had her sign it. Also, if you could show you have job offers or a little write up of jobs you would apply for this would help you.

4.) The marriage license and the photos of your relationship should be good, again a little write up of why you have no formal wedding photos will help.

5.) Interviews are not always necessary it depends on if the visa officer needs confirmation on things that may give them doubts. So you might and you might not have an interview.
Medical exams are necessary for all applicants I believe. You should do this before you send your application and provide the paper you receive from the panel physician in your application.
It doesn't have to be right away, but I think it just moves the process along easier, and less money to ship that little paper receipt if you do it later on.

6.) You can call the CRA hotline, it is a robot, of course, it will take you through a number of options, you request your "Option C Printout/Notice of assessment"
they will ask for your birth date and social insurance number you enter it and it will ship it to you.
Now if you want it shipped outside of Canada I think you have to talk to someone. BUT Where the application says you need and original option c printout
it CAN be a photocopy, I called CIC they said it was ok, and I have been accepted as a sponsor. I had it mailed to my parent's house where they scanned and emailed
it to me, I printed it and added it to my application. It only takes a short time to arrive in Canada, but to have it shipped outside takes weeks!

Just a tip, It's not required but it is a good idea to write a cover letter there are samples online if you google. You just add a little write up about why your applying and a little fact with anything you might think the visa officer may find strange.

For example, my husband's birth name is not what people call him. So his facebook, skype, and everything use a different name. So we explained why they would see a different name in the chat logs than in the documents.

It just helps the visa officer understand anything he might doubt, and will be less of an issue to explain if you have an interview. There are outlines on what to write online!

Hope that helps! :D

Thank you, this really helps! Wow everyone here is so helpful, I'm so grateful for this forum :) The whole paperwork process is stressful enough...

The cover letter is a good idea, I'll be sure to do that!

I also just looked into the medical exam. Its going to be $ 495 here in Florida, including the chest Xray. Ouch... didn't expect it to be quite that much!

Sunset0505 said:
You say that you have an American PR card...are you aware that to maintain your PR card you have to prove that you live in the US or that you are living with a US citizen that must work abroad?...just an FYI...
I am aware, though I did not know it was still valid if I live with my US spouse abroad. Sadly I still have to pay the $600 to renew my greencard since its up in July (first one is only good for 2 years), even though we don't plan on being here much longer. We don't plan on moving back to the US at all once we get to Canada. We want to build our life in Canada, and are very excited to! :)

Sunset0505

Dec 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Miss/Ottawa/LA and July/15 in LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Doc's Request.
08JUL2015
AOR Received.
09APR2014/SA 05JUN2014
File Transfer...
15JUL2014
Med's Request
2nd-01JUN2015/3rd 15JUL2015
Med's Done....
29/03/14& 15/06/15& 03/08/15/mailed 01/11/2015
Interview........
03NOV2015 in LA
Passport Req..
IP 23SEP15/DM 12/12/15
LANDED..........
29APR2016
You must live in the US or you live abroad with an American citizen that must work outside the US such as a Diplomat or US military personal to maintain your US PR..this is from the USCIS site.."Permanent residents are free to travel outside the United States, and temporary or brief travel usually does not affect your permanent resident status. If it is determined, however, that you did not intend to make the United States your permanent home, you will be found to have abandoned your permanent resident status. A general guide used is whether you have been absent from the United States for more than a year. Abandonment may be found to occur in trips of less than a year where it is believed you did not intend to make the United States your permanent residence. While brief trips abroad generally are not problematic, the officer may consider criteria such as whether your intention was to visit abroad only temporarily, whether you maintained U.S. family and community ties, maintained U.S employment, filed U.S. income taxes as a resident, or otherwise established your intention to return to the United States as your permanent home. Other factors that may be considered include whether you maintained a U.S. mailing address, kept U.S. bank accounts and a valid U.S. driver’s license, own property or run a business in the United States, or any other evidence that supports the temporary nature of your absence."

setec-astronomy

Star Member
Apr 11, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-03-2016
AOR Received.
14-04-2016 (AOR1)
File Transfer...
26-04-2016 (AOR2)
Med's Done....
11-03-2016 (Upfront)
VISA ISSUED...
28-04-2016
MelissaJohn said:
2.) You have to move to Canada before his visa expires, there is no extension allowed on the visa I believe. But you are allowed to travel back to the U.S.A if need be.
You have to land. Do not confuse landing with moving.

Ghenzkie

Nov 10, 2018
No, the medical exam should be done upfront. During the medical exam by a panel physician your spouse will be given a sheet of paper with your information on it that you send with your outland PR application. I would do it as close to the time you're going to mail off the application though, because they're only good for 12 months (even though most Americans are getting through the PR process in 2-4 months right now).

Your spouse should also send their FBI background check with the application now. CIC has re-approved the use of FBI approved 3rd party channelers, which enables you to get a background check in as little as a single day now. Background checks directly from the FBI (not a channeler) are still taking multiple months to obtain.

Information on US police checks from the CIC: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/north-america/united-states.asp

Information on US police checks from the FBI and detailed instructions on how to obtain one: https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks

How to find a panel physician: http://www.cic.gc.ca/pp-md/pp-list.aspx Find the one closest to you and call them to set up an appointment. When I inquired to set up an appointment in Washington, it would have costed me over $400 USD to get a medical there. Instead I did it in Vancouver while visiting my husband, which cost me $200 CAD. It might also take months for you to get an appointment, so I would call to inquire about their wait list ahead of time. It would have taken me 3 months to get one in Washington, and only two weeks in Vancouver (BC).

Hi did you file your sponsorship outland?
Im confused because i mailed mine without Medical it didnt say it was required. We are all living here now in Canada. But i filed outland even though his with me because my spouse need to go out of the country while the paper on process.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi did you file your sponsorship outland?
Im confused because i mailed mine without Medical it didnt say it was required. We are all living here now in Canada. But i filed outland even though his with me because my spouse need to go out of the country while the paper on process.
You are posting on a thread that is over 3 years old. The medical is requested later on in the process now.