+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving all your money to canada. How to do it?

nishantmr

Jul 24, 2019
I have about 300k when i leave USA. What are the ways to move it to canada?

Is it wise to move all of them to canada?

Looking for thoughts

Reactions: Jancy

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017

Looking for thoughts
Loads of different ways.

Personally I use TransferWise and have moved more than you plan to direct from a UK bank account to my Canadian bank account for much better rates than through a conventional bank.

Whether you SHOULD move all your money to Canada kinda depends on if you plan to live in Canada for good or not, very much your decision.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016

Looking for thoughts
It not wise to move all of them. No one is going to take your money. You can still keep invested in US and move the needed money for investment/spending to Canada.

Migration doesnt require to move assets/cash unless its profitable.

Do not close the trading accounts if you plan to continue trade here. You cant easily open it again unless you are resident here as residential proof required to be submitted during account opening. But tax to be paid though in US.

Reactions: nishantmr

Samoinp

May 30, 2017

Looking for thoughts
RBC helps open a deposit only USD account while being in US, helps retain funds in USD. If you are in east coast, TD has branches that should make it easier.

justinline

May 19, 2009

Looking for thoughts
You can open TD accounts in US and Canada, can set up transfers with just phone call. There is no charge for that. Are you planning to convert to CAD? Keep in mind Canadian banks do not insure USD deposits.
I would also not suggest moving everything. Before you move talk to each bank regarding....what the process for log back in if you are locked out or forget your password. For example some banks will set up verbal key words for phone or others will have pin or for example chase will only send pin to only US numbers no Canadian numbers allowed.

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
You can open TD accounts in US and Canada, can set up transfers with just phone call. There is no charge for that. Are you planning to convert to CAD? Keep in mind Canadian banks do not insure USD deposits.
I would also not suggest moving everything. Before you move talk to each bank regarding....what the process for log back in if you are locked out or forget your password. For example some banks will set up verbal key words for phone or others will have pin or for example chase will only send pin to only US numbers no Canadian numbers allowed.
You can of course open up a multi currency account with TD or RBC etc. BUT when you move money from a USD acooubt to the CAD account, you will get the bank FOREX rate. For larger sums, the better the rate, the more money you get etc. If you want a real eye opener, I suggestyou compare the amount of CAD you will get after all charges between a bank and TransferWise. You will see why I use TW while still holding my old UK bank account.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
I would suggest to keep in US as much as you can unless you are trying to invest in Canada. IMHO, banks in Canada aren't that great at all.

Xoom seems to be giving pretty good rates as well for exchange. I feel that Tranferwise is only good if you are transferring more than 10K at a time.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018

Looking for thoughts
Hi @nishantmr Did you resolve this? I am also in a similar position and was wondering whether to use Xoom or TransferWise or TD bank to move funds from USA to Canada. Can you please shed some light if you were able to draw any conclusions out of your USD-->CAD transfer study or if you were able to find an optimum way to transfer funds?

Thank you for your help
Ajeya Gupta

nishantmr

Jul 24, 2019
Hi @nishantmr Did you resolve this? I am also in a similar position and was wondering whether to use Xoom or TransferWise or TD bank to move funds from USA to Canada. Can you please shed some light if you were able to draw any conclusions out of your USD-->CAD transfer study or if you were able to find an optimum way to transfer funds?

Thank you for your help
Ajeya Gupta
Hello,

I did not move full amount but for some of the chunk I transferred I used TransferWise as they gave the best rate. I did compare multiple products but transfer wise was the best for rates.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hello,

I did not move full amount but for some of the chunk I transferred I used TransferWise as they gave the best rate. I did compare multiple products but transfer wise was the best for rates.
Thanks for your reply. I was asking more in terms of permanent solution to this. In the sense that my employment is in USA (and hence my salary is in USD). Is using Xoom / TransferWise a good option if I have to transfer money from US to Canada (from USD to CAD) on regular basis? Because, people have recommended to use TD bank, which seems slightly complicated as multiple accounts are required to be opened.

sk987

Mar 6, 2019
Thanks for your reply. I was asking more in terms of permanent solution to this. In the sense that my employment is in USA (and hence my salary is in USD). Is using Xoom / TransferWise a good option if I have to transfer money from US to Canada (from USD to CAD) on regular basis? Because, people have recommended to use TD bank, which seems slightly complicated as multiple accounts are required to be opened.
https://www.millennial-revolution.com/invest/norberts-gambit-how-to-exchange-money-without-paying-fees/

tweedledum08

May 30, 2018
I moved my investments (& cash, in USD) from my Vanguard (US) brokerage to Questrade in Canada. In hind sight I wouldn't move cash through a brokerage transfer as it took months as they actually mailed a cheque, assets were transferred within a couple of weeks. I don't think you can trade in your US investment accounts if you don't have any tax status in the US (I might be wrong). I still have the US accounts but don't trade through those nor do they have any assets. I've setup a RBC cross border account for moving money between US & Canada. It is very convenient for paying US credit cards and such bills. They do charge an annual fee of $40 (Canadian banks are notorious with fees). After trying various ways of converting USD<->CAD norberts gambit as mentioned by @sk987 is very cost effective although it takes a few days to journal over the assets so you might get a different rate. If you're planning on active trading, I would highly recommend Interactive Brokers, their trade commissions are the lowest (especially for options) and you can even do forex transactions at market rates (& negligible commissions) without having to do norberts gambit.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
I always used Xoom in the past. They gave a better rate than TD or RBC.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
I always used Xoom in the past. They gave a better rate than TD or RBC.
I've compared Xoom, TransferWise, WesternUnion and TD Bank. I found TW to give the best rate (although they have some fees associated with every transfer, the overall CAD output is higher than the other three)