Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010
No suggestions, but some pointers my experience in 2012 when I moved from VA to ON.
  • Moving is a rather unorganized sector, people who take contract may not be the people who actually move your stuff...
  • Make a very good inventory and valuate your belongings carefully
  • When you the receive goods, check the conditions carefully
  • Prices then were based on volume
  • When it comes to packing, it is difficult to claim damage if your packed the boxes yourself
  • Some movers offer to pack, but that comes with a heavy price
  • If there is a dispute, follow it up aggressively...

cram2017

Star Member
May 12, 2017
Hamil
No suggestions, but some pointers my experience in 2012 when I moved from VA to ON.
  • Moving is a rather unorganized sector, people who take contract may not be the people who actually move your stuff...
  • Prices then were based on volume
  • When it comes to packing, it is difficult to claim damage if your packed the boxes yourself
Have sent you a Private Message

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Guys,
Any recommendations on which movers to use?

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
I used twice PODS, with AVF I think.. Depending where you are of course but it won't brake the bank. 3 pods cost me $1500
Did you mean ABF? I wasnt able to find a mover with name AVF.. could you please share the link?

francaispourquebec

Star Member
Jun 4, 2013
Did you mean ABF? I wasnt able to find a mover with name AVF.. could you please share the link?
here's my experience: I asked for a quote from about 10 movers for a 300 mile across the border trip from the US to Canada. Some refused stating that the distance was too less and others quoted upwards of $6000. Finally I chose Flatrate since their quote was less than $2000. All items arrived safely and nothing was damaged. My only grouse was that the stuff took 3 weeks to arrive instead of the 2 weeks that they had promised. The experience as customs was also fairly smooth, they cleared it in about 10 minutes.

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
here's my experience: I asked for a quote from about 10 movers for a 300 mile across the border trip from the US to Canada. Some refused stating that the distance was too less and others quoted upwards of $6000. Finally I chose Flatrate since their quote was less than $2000. All items arrived safely and nothing was damaged. My only grouse was that the stuff took 3 weeks to arrive instead of the 2 weeks that they had promised. The experience as customs was also fairly smooth, they cleared it in about 10 minutes.
Thats good information!! In my case, I just decided to drive across as the distance for me was roughly 1300 miles! I drove a 10 foot UHaul truck and the cost of moving for me was less than 3500 bucks (including the truck rental, gas etc).

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
Thats good information!! In my case, I just decided to drive across as the distance for me was roughly 1300 miles! I drove a 10 foot UHaul truck and the cost of moving for me was less than 3500 bucks (including the truck rental, gas etc).
I am planning to move from VA in July 2018. As of now the estimate is that I spend nearly $850 for a 15' Truck for a 2 bedroom townhouse $250 for packers to load the stuff. $100 in gas & Misc, $250 unloading in Canada ~~ $1300 total.

Anything I am missing?

Reactions: missedTheGCBus

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
I am planning to move from VA in July 2018. As of now the estimate is that I spend nearly $850 for a 15' Truck for a 2 bedroom townhouse $250 for packers to load the stuff. $100 in gas & Misc, $250 unloading in Canada ~~ $1300 total.

Anything I am missing?
I think you are covered. Just one thing - 850 for a 15' Truck.. can you tell me which company you are renting the truck from? Mine was from UHaul and it was around 1200 USD for one way, a 10' Truck. Although needless to say, you might want to take a short ride in the 15' Truck if you have never driven it before. I got a 15' Truck first, took a short ride and then decided to take a 10' Truck instead! :D
But I was moving from a 1 Bedroom apartment.. :)
Also, gas would be depending on the distance you are going..
Lastly, do you have a place where you will be going to initially? Since you are moving the stuff on your own via the truck, you might want to consider the cost for storing your luggage / stuff until you find a place. In my case, UHaul provided free storage for 1 month, that was a part of the deal. Else, places like Dymon Storage could be a little costly. All depends on where you are going.

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
I think you are covered. Just one thing - 850 for a 15' Truck.. can you tell me which company you are renting the truck from? Mine was from UHaul and it was around 1200 USD for one way, a 10' Truck. Although needless to say, you might want to take a short ride in the 15' Truck if you have never driven it before. I got a 15' Truck first, took a short ride and then decided to take a 10' Truck instead! :D
But I was moving from a 1 Bedroom apartment.. :)
Also, gas would be depending on the distance you are going..
Lastly, do you have a place where you will be going to initially? Since you are moving the stuff on your own via the truck, you might want to consider the cost for storing your luggage / stuff until you find a place. In my case, UHaul provided free storage for 1 month, that was a part of the deal. Else, places like Dymon Storage could be a little costly. All depends on where you are going.
Hey bro. I checked the rates at UHaul only. for VA to ON for July 2018 it's showing $814 for a 15' truck. I have experience with 15' trucks. I moved from DC to Williamsburg, VA. For that move, Initially I thought of getting a 10' truck but the price difference between a 10 and 15 was negligible and I wanted the buffer of more space.

What's worrying me is that while 15' truck is ok. I haven't done 15'truck with a trailer attached for my car. Driving on interstate should be still ok. Problems are exits / parking / backing with a trailer attached. So I am still figuring that part out

Reactions: yodheydhara

yodheydhara

Sep 12, 2016
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
09-10-2016
Hey bro. I checked the rates at UHaul only. for VA to ON for July 2018 it's showing $814 for a 15' truck. I have experience with 15' trucks. I moved from DC to Williamsburg, VA. For that move, Initially I thought of getting a 10' truck but the price difference between a 10 and 15 was negligible and I wanted the buffer of more space.

What's worrying me is that while 15' truck is ok. I haven't done 15'truck with a trailer attached for my car. Driving on interstate should be still ok. Problems are exits / parking / backing with a trailer attached. So I am still figuring that part out
Oh thats nice, you are getting a good price. Frankly, using a trailer was one of my worries too as I had never done it before. However, for exits and parking point of view, it must be pretty common to use two slots for parking and be slow when you go through exits and sharp turns. Unfortunately since I do not have any experience with the trailers, I would rather not give you any uninformed advise... :)

missedTheGCBus

Star Member
Sep 8, 2022
What is the customs process like, do the movers need a copy of the goods to follow and they clear it with customs or do you have to go yourself?

I used twice PODS, with AVF I think.. Depending where you are of course but it won't brake the bank. 3 pods cost me $1500
Did they handle customs too?

Anyone with recent experience of moving from US to Canada, open to any recommendations for movers

milon45

Star Member
Jul 10, 2023
  • Prices then were based on volume of professional movers in abu dhabi
Hi, Can anyone recommend a good, reliable local moving company? We need a company to help us move our household stuff (furniture and appliances as well) within Bali. Thank you.