+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Move back to Canada...HELP!!

drurgirl

Jun 29, 2011
Im so confused with all the forms...i am an american citizen who moved to Ontario in 1975 with canadian born parents. i married my canadian husband in 1994 & same year moved to buffalo ny area. we have 3 young children (all US citizens) and have been here for 17 yrs operating our own business. we would like to move back to Ontario & husband is still a canadian citizen. both sides of our family are all still there. (we would both have jobs when/if we can get back by continuing our same work working at the canadian (family) business. what should we do or what forms would be applicable to our situation? if anyone can help i sure would appreciate any advice given. thank u very much. ::)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Are you sure that you are not a dual citizen, American/Canadian? It seems to me that if your parents are Canadian born, you would be a Canadian too.

You can look into applying for a citizenship card, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp That is what you will do for your children as well because their father is Canadian, regardless of if you are or not, they will have Canadian citizenship too. If you have a date for your move, you can write a letter and ask for the citizenship cards to be expedited. If you don't, it can take a year to get them.

If you know for a fact that you are not a Canadian citizen but you did have permanent residency at some time (landed immigrant), you would still have it because you have been living with your Canadian spouse and that fact protects your PR, even if you have been outside Canada for years. If this is the case, you can go to Canada and apply for a PR card.

If you are neither a Canadian citizen nor were you ever a landed immigrant, your husband would have to sponsor you for PR.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

drurgirl said:
Im so confused with all the forms...i am an american citizen who moved to Ontario in 1975 with canadian born parents. i married my canadian husband in 1994 & same year moved to buffalo ny area. we have 3 young children (all US citizens) and have been here for 17 yrs operating our own business. we would like to move back to Ontario & husband is still a canadian citizen. both sides of our family are all still there. (we would both have jobs when/if we can get back by continuing our same work working at the canadian (family) business. what should we do or what forms would be applicable to our situation? if anyone can help i sure would appreciate any advice given. thank u very much. ::)
1. You and your children are probably Canadian citizens. As you were a child of Canadian citizens and your children are Canadian citizens, as their father was a Canadian citizen at the time of their birth. So all you have to do is apply for proof of citizenship. The application forms are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/certif-processing.asp